weather barometer pressure

Home Forums General weather barometer pressure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    annie
    Participant

does anyone find that their pain is worse during the times when the barometric pressure is low or falling? or when it’s raining or cold or hot etc. etc. i am trying to keep a record of this for a year to see if there is any connection. any views on this one?! when all else fails – sort of thing!annie

Jo
    Participant

Hi – i am glad that you bought this up – i thought i was going mad – -i feel that my pain gets alot worse when the weather is damp or it is cold outside .

I thought i was getting paranoid -about the pain leels – i try to monitor them on a scale of 1 – 10

1 – being little or no pain
    10- being total excruituating pain and just lately every day has been 7 or 8 and i do try to be realistic with the numbers

if you get any more response – let me know

thanks

jo

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

This is interesting – my acupuncturist once told me to go and live in a hot dry country! Where I live it tends to be damp all year round.

I’ve looked on the internet and found conflicting reports. However, it is said that symptoms can be made worse by wet weather. This is due to the fibrous and toughened ligaments that tighten like tense strings in damp weather or during weather changes. This tightening draws the joints more closely together, and if the cartilages or joints have already become affected, joint movement becomes more painful. This is typical of arthritis.

An informative website with lots of research details and explanations is at:

http://www.halcyon.com/iasp/TC96JulyAug.html

I think we’ll all have to move south!
    Jan

annie
    Participant

thanks for the reply Jo – i am also keeping a record of pain 1 -10 – and the corresponding weather conditions. today is lovely and sunny and bright – so do we feel better because we see the sun. yes, lets all get together and fly to s.spain for the winter. i also think that the quality of sleep that we get affects the pain – do you? yesterday i forced myself to go swimming – and slept really well last night – and that makes me feel better. so there are lots more factors to be taken into consideration – aren’t there? take care, annie

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know how you feel, I have kept a diary for the last twelve months, without doubt I have a severa pain increase when the weather turns cold or damp. before my accident, I never really believed the weather could influence pain, but I do NOW. So there is only one answer…… we will have to all get together and move to Australia …lol

annie
    Participant

ok, keith, when shall we go!!! but the weather is quite nice at the moment – bright and cold and the bulbs are showing thro’ in the garden – and spring will soon be here!!! so pr’haps i’ll shelve that idea until next winter!!

Jo
    Participant

Any room in the suitcase for me and my wheelchair????

jo

annie
    Participant

yes, jo, of course. i will bring along my able-bodied partner and he can shepherd us all along!!

annie
    Participant

have tried this for a few weeks now and find that it makes no difference at all! so shall now not have to keep notes! we have had high, low pressure – and my amount of pain does not correspond in any way – not with sun, rain, cloud etc. ah well! annie

Anonymous
    Inactive

What an excellent topic. I have wondered about this myself. I have OA and am very sore when the weather is cold and damp. I thought it would be better in hot weather but this summer on the odd day that was nice enough to sit in the garden, I was just as sore as when it’s pouring down.

i think pain levels are based on a number of contributing factors:
    * – mental state (happy/depressed/neutral)
    * – Weather
    * – Stress
    * – Daily load – have you had a busy few days etc., have you done too much

My Gp says that my condition is due to structural bone defects, which have caused Osteoarthritis, so whatever the weather I will be in pain. Arthritis is worsened by bad weather, but hurts in all temperatures. I am off to Turkey soon so will let you know if it as painful in a warm dry climate as opposed to the wet and windy one here in the UK!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I’m new in here. I have fibromyalgia, and get a definite hike in the level of pain, when it’s trying to rain, or it’s grey for days, or if it’s hot for several days. I’m definitely worse when the barometer is low, and am much more likely to be in a bad mood then. Also on full moon (it pulls the tides, and ME!) When it rains, I get relief and need less pain relief. It’s all called being weather sensitive. Hope this helps! Feel free to write, xxx Kari

annie
    Participant

maxine – hello – yes, i agree there are lots of factors that make our pain worse or better – and mental state is v. high on the list – but it’s difficult to keep in the right frame of mind isn’t it when when the pain is somewhere in the background niggling away to a great or lesser extent! nice weather lifts the mood and the pain level – doing something that you really enjoy can also lift the mood etc. etc. complicated eh! annie ps have a great time in turkey and let us know if it works for you!

annie
    Participant

shall keep an eye on the moon and see if it makes a difference to me – having just been bought a astronom.telescope – can;’t wait to see it enlarged. but yes, there must be something in all this – be it weather, tides, moons or whatever. good luck – anna

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was once told by a consultant that the good baromatric press ure in Majorca does help with pain, and perhaps a good idea to go and live there!

annie
    Participant

yes, jane , wouldn’t it be lovely! annie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.