Piriformis Syndrome

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I”ve been having the same pain for piriformis syndrome…have been going to PT and sometimes I do feel better afte that for the rest of the day…but then like always…very much pain int the hip and leg, expecially wen sitting…I want some help with it…BB

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi BB, exercise is the best way -special exercises described
    http://www.coventrypainclinic.org.uk
    Look up Exercise and look at hibs, buttocks section.
    Also good decription of pririformis syndrome on site and treatment options. However I have found exercise and the specific exercises and a caudal epidural (relieves pain there for about 6 months) the best treatment.But exercises for me in general are the best thing-every day twice a day – and the assisted stretches with trainer and /or physio.

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks, fenella…which exercises do you think help the most…the main one I do to help is to cross over the bad leg on the thigh…(foot on floor of the good leg) and pull…My PT girl does this…I’ve not been Dx with PS but I know that is what it is..since all this painis in the bones I sit on…left side..and down the leg, into the thigh, calf..and bottom of foot..especiall the bottom of my heel..even is bed..can’t sleep lots because of this..and cant’ ride in a car for any distance…. BB

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was wondering about the caudal epidural ? Do they inject it into the Piriformis muscle.? Or where?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found the exercises..and other things…good information…I have been doing lots of those also the girl that does my PT has me do some of those…and I do them at home..but need to add some more of those on the site. It just seems like nothing is helping this pain. It’s been now since about Feb. 2005…and getting worst. Pain meds don’t either…I just dont’ do them…only have a couple of times..and since they dont’ help…I hate to even take them. Things like hot baths, deep massages, and heat on my hip can help me feel some relaxed and some better for awhile…until I try to sit for some time…when it starts hurting bad…it feels like all my hip bones and down my leg and foot are just crushed..I can feel it hurting all the time,,, but it’s just at some times…it gets sooooo much worst. I hope to talk with someone soon…that might know more about this…but dont’ know if anyone in my area does. I’ve read that a sports Dr. can help more…the bone people around here just want to say it’s your disc..and want to inject into the spine…I do feel so positive …it’s not in my back…at all. BobbieB

Anonymous
    Inactive

can piriformis syndrome cause pain to the foot and toes. I have extreme pain in my foot and toes as well as a very painful muscle in my buttock.

Jan
    Participant

Hello Georgina

In my experience it can. The piriformis muscle can compress the sciatic nerve which runs very close to it, causing pain down the leg and into the foot.

There may be other factors involved in your pain too, though. So do get it properly checked out.

Jan

maxbar50
    Participant

I’ve had what the medics/physios think “might” be piriformis syndrome for five years – MRI, ultrasound, x-rays have not confirmed this so I’ve looked for things that might help myself…e.g. pyriformis stretch, using all the resources on this great site, relaxation, meditation, and most recently – & it seems to be helping – reflexology. Hope you find a way to deal with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.