spinal nerve stimulators

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    janet
    Participant

Hi There,

I also had spinal fusion on one of my lower slipped and degenerated disk just over five years ago due to on going pain in my back and legs, I also agreed to surgery and to have another 5 years later but I havn’t gone ahead with it because the first op has left me a lot worse off, I went to the pain manager yesterday to have facet joint injections I had to have four altogether following the four anethestics, this went okay and wasn’t too bad just came home with a numb leg which has worn off this morning, but I didn’t get to sleep due to pain in my legs I ended up having to take my medicatiion in the end to get to sleep, If you are thinking of surgery you might just be better off having back injections as mine was a failed surgery, http://www.mater-imaging.com is useful if you are considering these injections.

good look

Janet

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello

I think everybody should be aware that some spine ops fail but support forums do not reflect the amount of people who have successful surgery.
    If epidural, facet joint injections and other treatments work I would personally not have surgery. However, there are a % where the injections don’t work and then they have to decide if surgery is the best option.

It’s such a difficult decision especially when you’re in pain!

Anne x

janet
    Participant

Hi,

Just had the facet joint injection 2 days ago wasn’t that bad considering I’m terrified of injections, first night I had terrible pain in my legs and only got to sleep at five in the morning after taking my usual painkillers, got up today Sunday 20th March and my back was hurting so I took some more pain killers, I know the dr said things would get worse before they get better so maybe that was expected does anyone know where I will go from here my pain manager said he will see me again in two and half months for another injection I presume, do more injections really do anything for the pain or is it a wait and see after the secound, what is the pump that a previous post mentioned would I be better off with one of these as I need continued pain killers as I have been continuous for five years since the op.
    all info would be welcome.

Thanks Janet

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi I have a nerve stimulator implanted in my chest it is a spinal nerve stimulator but has been put in for use of my left arm due to nerve pain of an amputation of finger. It works well but does have some disadvantages. Yes is the anserw to going through the airport, you have to be checked manually as it sets off the alarms but also it doesn’t do your battery or you any good. It sometimes sets off doors of shops but most shopkeepers are pretty sympathetic when you say you have a battery implanted. I still haven’t been able to contact anyone with a stimulator implanted in upper body. Mary

Anonymous
    Inactive

I happened to go into this website and it is very interesting. I have had three back surgeries. Two failed. I have had a fusion to L5/S1 and a disc replacement on L4. I have a lot of nerve damage due to a stupid surgeon to begin with and of course having the third operation. I have taken zydol, as well as many other pain killers, nothing worked correctly. My surgeon has now asked me to try a drug called Gabapentin, which is, I am told, used in cases like mine. Well the one thing that I will admit is that for the last three years I have not had a good night’s sleep and at present am getting it. But the side effects are not good. You feel like a total moroon during the day and have to drag yourself out of bed in the morning. The pain in my legs are controlled but return when the drug is wearing off. I am now experiencing joint pains, which I did not have before and I have been told that this is one of the side effects of the drug but yet it is not listed in the insert. The thing is I am in a catch 22 situation. Do I go without sleep again and have extreme pain or do I continue with what I am doing?

If any of you have any other drugs which help and you have the same situation as me, please let me know.

Best of luck to you all.

Di
    Participant

I have a lot of nerve and low back pain. I was also on Gabapentin which unfortunately did nothing for me except to make me depressed . However, I can say that the drowsiness you report, does wear off. The hospital had to increase the recommended intervals when they were increasing the dose to allow my body to get used to it but it certainly did wear off.
    I am now on Oxycodone Hyrdochloride (a liquid supposed to be taken every 4 hours. It’s an opiod related to morphine and works very well for me for the nerve pain. It does not now make me drowsy and I can drive again but I have been on it for a year. There is a timed release version (Oxycontin) available in tablet form.
    Just remember, what works for one doesn’t work for another and everyone reacts differently. For me though, oxycodone does well, with no side effects apart from the usual constipation. It’s the only thing I have found that does work for nerve pain.

Amanda
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I am currently undergoing preliminary tests to get on a programme to have a Spinal Stimulator. My pain is as a result of having Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ive already had surgery to decompress these nerves in my pelvis, but they were badly damaged and thats irrepairable.

I use a tens all the time which does give me a great distraction along with Diclofenac, Tylex and copious amounts of ice. All these help a bit for a short while, but the SS has been highly recommended for me. Ive watched operations where this has been implanted and its a very invasive operation depnding on where in the body its being implanted. I look forward to hearing how you get on with your doctor.

Best of luck

Amanda

Anonymous
    Inactive

My husband hs an above the knee amputation. He is experiencing a great deal of pain in the residual limb and in the other leg that has a blockage. The doctor today mentioned placing a spinal verve stimulator in his back to relieve the pain. Please help. Will this work, what should we expect? Is it worth trying?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi to everyone, I have had chronic back pain for about 10 years now, tried epidurals, painkilling injections. oral painkillers, anti-depressants sedatives to sleep at night for the last 9 years. Life is difficult, go out about once a week, if that, my quality of life I feel is nil. This has effected my relationship with my husband, don’t misunderstand he is very good, but I feel this is so unfair on his quality of life too, putting up with a wife who cannot do things anything like she used to. coming home to a wife who through pain cannot be bothered with herself any more……..tomorrow I’m going for root block injections has anyone out there had them, if so please let me know if you had any relief from them, and for how long, and how was the procedure. Many Thanks Butter

Mike
    Participant

I just thought that I should let you all know that I have just received a letter from my PCT agreeing to fund a Spinal Cord Stimulator. It has taken 2 years or more to convince them. I must have sent at least 100 pages of supporting evedence to them as well as what my consultant sent in. But the PCT were adament that the clinical effectivness of the Spinal Cord Stimulator has yet to be proved. That was until I sent them a copy of a paper written by Professor Tesfaye who states that Spinal Cord Stimulators do work after all other treatments have been tried out. The moral to the story is DON’T GIVE UP. I cannott beleive that the hole proces has taken 2 years or more and at times the pain has been unbearable. My mind has been in many states and some thoughts that I never want to have again. I would like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me from this web site the support has been fantastic. I also have a great deal of paperwork and in particular the info from Professor Tesfaye about the Spinal Cord Stimulators effectivness if anyone needs it I can email it to them. Once again Thank you to you all without your kind words and support who knows where I would be now.
    all the best
    Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s great news, Mike. Well done! It just shows that persistence pays off. Thank you for offering to share the paperwork with anyone who needs it, that’s most kind of you.

We wish you all the best for a successful implant.

Jan at PainSupport

Amanda
    Participant

Hi All,

Im going to see a doctor in Brussels with a view to being assessed for a Trial Stimulator in the pelvic region. Hopefully this will be successful and that he will think me a suitable candidate for this treatment.

My visit is in September. I have applied for E112 funding and am hoping that i get this as this treatment is very expensive…however can we put a price on possible pain relief?

Let you all know how my meeting goes.

Amanda

Mike
    Participant

Hi Amanda
    I hope your consultation is succesful. From my experiences doctors and consultants are keen to offer this treatment after all other avenues have been tried. In my case I had 4 doctors supporting the spinal cord stimulator. The local Health Trust did not want to pay for it as they said it was not proven to be effective….. After over 2 years of fighting the trust they have now agreed to fund it. I did send lots of information to them and I still have this on file if you would like a copy of the paper from the Lancet I will send it to you. Who knows it may help.
    All the best
    Mike

Rob
    Participant

Hi Amanda

Good luck. I’m sure it’ll be fine
    Rob

Amanda
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Like you I have used up all avenues of pain relief….5 day Epidurals, Ketamine Treatment, intrathecal infusions….and many more. This is the end of the road for possible pain relief for me, Im looking forward to meeting Prof Van Buyten in September, however I dont plan to rush into anything until I have all the information to satisfy myself that this is the best option for me. Who knows in the next year this technique which is relatively new so far….may have been perfected a little more. I would love to have the article you are referring to from the Lancet, if you could email it to me that would be great thanks.
    So far I have 14 consultants from Ireland, France England and the Netherlands who all think that a stimulator is the next choice for me.Surely they cant all be wrong.
    I know that the application for funding is a different thing from Ireland than it is in the UK….so hopefully I wont hit too many pitfalls on the way.

Best wishes

Amanda

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.