spinal nerve stimulators

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jo

Sorry, MST is Morphine in slow release form, I understand now why you tried the spine stimulator.
    I’ve heard a few success stories with both the pump and stimulator, however it’s difficult to compare people because they their own comlications.

If you would like to “talk” more contact me at anne-wyn@supanet.com

Take care Anne x

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am trying to find information for a friend about spinal nerve stimulators as she has had an unsucessfull visit to pain clinc to see if she was suitable for one.The consultant told her she had too much pain in her back and that the stimulator only works for pain in legs, is this so,has anyone used one for relief of spinal pain. My friends pain is in neck /upper and lower back

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ive had a spinal stimulator implanted and unfortunatley i only get minimal, if any, relief in my legs. I was told that getting the machine to work in the lumber spine is very hard. HOWEVER…. i do know someone who does get relief in her lumber spine. so it is possible. I guess that everyone is different and really depends on how much experience your consultant has had of implanting the device.

janet
    Participant

Hi everyone just joined in on the discussions after being guided here by somone on net doctor which is were I find other help relating to back surgery, I had back surgery to the lower vertabrea after being told I had three slipped, I also have a degenerated disk as they found out during operation after coming round after 7 hour op I was told they had complications during surgery but I didn’t get to find out what it was, I had a spinal fusion with bone graft and have the screws fitted here and there, but I have suffered badly since the op five years ago I am at my wits end with the pain I cannot bend or kneel or even tilt sideways to pick something up without getting in chronic pain, as well as all the pain I hardly can breath with the pain and it is getting a lot worse I think I need a nebulator thingy to help me breath I keep hyperventalating and can only control my air flow by breathing in and out slowly into my hand.
    I am due to see the pain manager on wednesday and my doctor told me they might want to give me an injection, will this be what I have read about on here is it the epidural or spinal block because I have just been put on Zydol and still taking my gabapentin what I have had for five years none stop I wanted a change from Dihydracodine which I was given when I came out of hospital as this caused constipation for five years and boy was it weird going to the loo after comeing of them, lol, anyway the Zydol ain’t helping much anyway I had depression tablets for a year and half because of this and then I was told I had ME, but I worked it out for my self that I didn’t have ME but the pain killers was interacting with the siprimil and which caused the symptoms of ME and hay presto my ME went, so now I want to know if these injections are what they are now going to try on me and is it worth it, as I should be having more surgery but so many people have had several surgeries to there spines and have just ended up in more turmoil. would be greaat ful for any advice and you guys are great were all in a world of our own.

Thnaks in advance

Janet

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Janet,

Glad you have found us – I have recently looked on the arthritis section and muscular pain section on netdoctor and guided someone to this site. I remained anonymous. I would like to think it was me who told you about this wonderful forum, but it doesn’t really matter who it was, now that you have found us. Please keep in touch via the forum and let us know how you are.

I am sure others can help you better than I can. I have spinal problems too but I have not had the surgery which you have undergone. I have now been told after all these years of pain in my back, that I am considered too old for surgery.

Hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Good luck, Sheila.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ive been told that with a stimulator you are not allowed to go through the metal detectors at airports but its ok to walk through the ones situated in the front of shops. However over the past few weeks i have been giving the store detectives extra work as im setting the detectors off everytime i pass through. Its getting very embarrasing!

Ive contacted my consultant and he calling me back this afternoon. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jo,Essex…Thanks for your response to my request for knowledge about if a stimulator would work on spinal pain,will pass on to my friend sorry you have not had much of a result on lumber spine getting the feeling from what i have been reading they are more usefull for legs rather than the spine itself. hope things get better for you.

janet
    Participant

Hi Sheila,

Yes it was me who you guided here thanks, I’m sorry you are feeling so bad with the pain and that you cannot have surgery, but maybe this was a blessing that you could’nt have it done as I am a lot worse off than before the op. I have just got a phone call from the hospital they want me in for a faucet injection in the spine and I’m terrfide of going it was a bit soon as I only seen my pain manager yesterday.

I will let you know how I went on, fingersvcrossed.

Janet

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anne .
    Hi I noticed that you are in the throes of maybe becomminga recpient of the Pump?

I have one of these I have had it in for about 18 months now so not so long ago that i have forgotten everything, it is all still quiet fresh in my memory, so if you or Jo or anyone for that matter would like to know about this procedure please let me know and I will gladly tell you of my experience as you probably already know this procedure is not to be taken lightly, I was told that it was very invasive and it is…
    Regardes Diana

janet
    Participant

Hi Sheila,

Yes it was me who you guided here thanks, I’m sorry you are feeling so bad with the pain and that you cannot have surgery, but maybe this was a blessing that you could’nt have it done as I am a lot worse off than before the op. I have just got a phone call from the hospital they want me in for a faucet injection in the spine and I’m terrfide of going it was a bit soon as I only seen my pain manager yesterday.

I will let you know how I went on, fingersvcrossed.

Janet

janet
    Participant

Hi Jo,

Just read your post and the part about you setting off the detecters in shops, I also have this problem with the screws and things in my back this also has alerted staff in shops, but mine have to stay put. :0(

Janet

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Janet

I am so pleased you are getting responses from other people on the forum – the people on this forum have given me some really good advice and I am happy to recommend it to anyone.

Yes, please let us know how you get on with the injections. After reading of your many problems I am so sorry that things did not go well for you at all. I met up with a lady at a hydrotherapy group, and she had undergone a spinal fusion. She said it was mega surgery and had she known what it entailed she would not have agreed to it. But that was only one person’s view and I realise there are others for whom surgery has been successful.

If that person could have found a forum as interesting as this one, then she would have the opinion of many other people. Maybe she would have gone ahead with surgery or maybe not. It is difficult to know what to do for the best.

I am sure you will have helped other people in coming to terms with decisions they are having to consider.

Take care now, Sheila.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sheila.
    Hello there! You hit the nail right on the head’
    I have had a 3 level spinal fusion with hardware ect and after 3 and half yrs i am now the proud owner of the Morphine pain pump! due to the failier of my surgery.

When i had my fusion i did not have a computer at the time and did not even know how to operate one so did not have any first hand knowledge or experiences of either how good they are or how bad some went! I was totaly in the dark and just wanted to be out of pain..

I am having further problems with my back now and even though i know about fusions ect, I would not go through that experience again never, I would rather cope with the pump taking care of my pain.
    Although like you siad Sheila I agree also that fusions are not all bad experience’s “No-one could have stopped me from having a fusion at the time i had mine done, I wanted this pain and collapsing to stop so would have gone ahead whatever I had heard, Sadly my fusion did not work! You never think it will be you one of the 15% that don’t work, I had every faith it would work.
    I done all the physio and lots of walking after my surgery I done all that was asked but unfortunatley it did not help..

So yes if anyone was to have this surgery or any surgery for that matter search it out lots and see if there are conservative treatments first..

I must say again we are only a minority that have problems after fusions most people have very good outcomes and don’t need to come to places like this which is why you only hear of very few success ..

Diana x

Anonymous
    Inactive

I met a woman the other day walking her dog along my road and she stopped and chatted (as I have a dog too) and told me she’d had a spinal fusion about 15 years ago and was flat on her back for 6 months, but that it had worked and now she has hardly any pain, though has to be careful with bending, etc. She walks miles each day.

So it CAN work!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Matt.

That is a great story about the woman you met that walks with a dog like you! It is a breath of fresh air to read storys such as this womans.

I also knew a lady who was also a success that was untill her hardware broke, this was also about 15 yrs since her first surgery.
    unfortunatly due to the hardware breaking it caused her spine to have some movement and had to have her fusion redone but as far as I know she is fine again..

We of course hear more non success storys on boards like these as i siad on the post above you don’t usualy get people share there good success storys as people who have good surgerys don’t feel the need to come to pain boards as they are now all better which is ggod for them but a shame for others because I’m sure people who are considering this type of surgery it would give them another view of things rather than all black and more black!
    Again fusions can and do work it is only the very few minority that don’t!

Regardes Diana x

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.