spinal nerve stimulators

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience on these for disk pain. I am going back to see my consultant at the pain clinic next week and would like to know if these would be an option for me. I am currently taking MST and others

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mike, when you go to your consultant about the spinal stimulator, please can you post any info on this site so I too know whats involved. I am in chronic pain with my back due to scarring around the nerve-root and the stimulator is an option for me further down the line once my consultant has tried me with different meds, so any info would be great…thanks, Graham, Oldham, UK

Mary Clark
    Participant

Hi Mike
    I haven’t a spinal nerve stimulator well I have but it is used to controll nerve pain down my arm and to the amputation site of a liitle finger. I have complex nerve damage and the stimulator was implanted. I was on MST Amitriptaline Zydol and many other pain killers but now just take Zydol for pain twice daily after 6 years of crippling pain it was wonderful.
    Hope this information is helpful. I have a leaflet on Spinal Nerve stimulators if you would like it.
    Your Mary.

Anne
    Participant

I had a spinal cord stimulator fitted in Spetember 2002, unfortunately I had some problems not all related to the stimulator but more to a problem with the surgery. I had the electrodes re-positioned in January this year which has helped but am not getting stimulation in my right leg which is the leg that causes the worst pain. The stimulator provides good relief for the left leg, and I guess had I not had these unusual problems I would be saying how wonderful the stimulator is. I had mine fitted as I had been down the road of all meds with little effect or awful side effects. My original problem was cauda equina syndrome which resulted in emergency surgery to remove two lumber discs. I had surgery 6 months later to remove scar tissue and have recently been diagnosed as having arachnoiditis.I also have problems with the remaining lumber discs and have recently had a nerve block and am due to have a further two nerve block injections next week, not sure how helpful this is but know myself how valuable it can be to talk to someone who has had the procedure done before hand, its good to know the good points but important to know the negatives. If you want any further info do not hesitate to contact me by email.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, my PM doctor wants to put in a spimal stimulator, and at this point I have pretty good pain control through the pain medicine..My question is should I have it implanted if my pain medicine is doing a good job or should I wait until nothing else works..Opinions would be appreciatied

Mike
    Participant

hi
    Thanks for all of the responses to my message and I am sorry its taken me a while to get back to you all I had a TIA and have been trying to get over that so I havent been on the computer very much. I am waiting to hear if I can still have the spinal nerve stimulator and I have an appointment in September with my pain consultant. I will keep you all posted with the outcome.
    I have been suffering quite a lot of lumbar pain because of the degenerative discs that I have I have just had another MRI which showed there is more damage to my spine than was first thought. I keep on taking the MST tables along ith a host of others. Still I keep my chin up because there is allways someone else worse off than me or at least thats what I find.
    All the best
    Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mike
    I want to thank you for sharing your pain. It isn’t easy living with pain every day, you are doing the right thing by hooking up with a site like this.It was important for me as I don’t feel as though I am alone with the pain. I know it doesn’t take away the pain but it sure does help.
    I encourage you to keep in contact it’s great to have a good old moan about the pain.
    God Bless
    Margaret H (NZ)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Mike,
    I have had a spinal cord stimulator implanted for over a year. It is surgically implanted and stimulates the nerves in my legs and feet. It has worked well in both legs-seperate control for each. However it is not the cure all I thought it would be, still it is very helpful and i,m thankful to have it. Feel free to e-mail me if there are any questions I can help with. I am thankful also to have this opportunity mto interact with others who.share my plight.
    Blessings to all,
    Perry

Anonymous
    Inactive

My pain doc wants me to have a nerve stimulator
    but the tens does nothing for me so I connot see why this would be any different

Anonymous
    Inactive

Star,
    From my own experience with it and things I’ve learned, I would say wait , especially if you are doing ok with meds. My understanding is that the stimulator is somewhat of a last resort.
    God Bless,
    Perry

Anonymous
    Inactive

David,
    I look at the stimulator as an internal tens unit. It
    is more effective because the stimulation is directly on the nerves. I would encourage you to
    do the 2-3 day trial which is required before it is permanently implanted.
    God Bless,
    Perry

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mike
    Did you get the info I sent? Have you had a stimulator implanted yet? Hope your pain is more bearable
    Mary

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ive had a spinal stimulator implant now for nearly 8 months and just a word of warning…..When you have discussions with your surgeon make sure you know exactly where the battery unit will be postioned! I say this because i have had mine implanted in my side just by my waist and can no longer lie on this side becaue its too painful as i can feel it. I cant lie on my back so im only able to lie on the other side which results in getting even more stiff and suffer with pain. I would rave about the stimulator but sorry… in my case it hasnt been the ‘miracle’ cure i was so hoping for!

During the past 7 years Ive had 6 previous spinal surgeries including spinal stablisations, revions of these operations and spinal fusions to 3 levels via a posterior and anterior approach. All 3 discs have been removed and replaced with metal cages and rods up my spine and bone grafts. I have no movement whatso ever in my lumber spine and suffer with excruciating sciatica in my legs. I have refered pain in my thoracic area and nek and suffer with hadaches and pains in my arm and hand. I have tried many many drugs.. my bathroom cabinet is ‘overflowing and resembles ‘Boots’! Ive been on morphine and the patches but i am unable to tolerate them… i have been very unwell and violently sick. Many of the others like Gabapentin have not worked either. The only thing that seems to have an effect is diazapam. The problem with that is the dose i take makes me spaced out and sick too so i cant take it too often. You name it i have tried it… physio…hydrotherapy… residential rehab…. accupunture… faith healing….chiropractor…osteopath….spinal corsets….drugs….countless other approaches.

Needless to say .. as im sure many people will agree with me i now sufer with depression….. try to be positive but what am i supposed to do.. im only 30 and i dont see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Would really love to hear from anyoine out there with any advice or maybe in the same postion as me.

Thank you

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jo

Your history is so similar to mine that it’s quite spooky, only I’m the grand age of 38!
    I haven’t tried a spinal stimulator and I’m sorry it hasn’t helped you. It must be so difficult sleeping on one side, I have to move constantly form one side to the other.

On 17th Feb I’m seeing a Neurosurgeon to discuss the Morphine Pump, my Spine conultant referred me. I’m not suggesting you rush to the Dr’s and request one but it might be worth researching it before your next appointment. Was there any reason they tried the stimulator and not the pump?
    I take MST, Gabapentin and Diclofenic and I get some pain relief, they stop me from screaming all day!

I wish I could help you but I’m in such a similar position, even down to the thoracic pain from the fusion, so I understand how you are feeling
    Take care
    Anne x

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow.. that was a very fast response.. thanks.. Glad to hear that someone knows how i feel.. im always known as the girl with the bad back.. never Jo .. human being!

I was offered either the morphine pump or the spinal stimulator but after talking to people who had the stimulator i decided to go for that option first. Also… i have an intolerance to morphine and didnt like the idea of having to have it refilled every few months…

Ive tried gabapentin and dicolfenic.. buts whats MST?

Where are you in the UK… just wonder what consultant you are under.

Thank you once again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.