Spinal Cord Stimulator – Part 2

Home Forums General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable) Spinal Cord Stimulator – Part 2

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    nicky
    Participant

hi Rob
    the dates getting nearer for you.
    From what i was told by the technician at the royal london if they keep to the same make eg medtronic then it will just be a matter of replacing the box as normal and they will use the original wires and electrodes from a pre exsisting stimulator,

nicky
    Participant

hi liz and all its me again,
    Dat is obviously the one with more answers than me. as i havent experienced the rechargable one but as i said before i wasnt able to reduce my narcotics but im slightly contradicting myself by saying that when my stimulator goes i get out less and i suppose i up my narcotics to more than i usually take. I would say that my pain is eased about 30-40% and lets face it any improvement has to be better than nothing at all.
    And as far as i know Liz the rechargable one will not last forever i think it lasts about 10 years

Barmac
    Participant

Hi All, Just a silly question but it’s all new to me, is a spinal stimulator the same as a pain pump. I’m seeing a Neurosurgeon soon about having a pump fitted but do not know enough about either really, thanks.

nicky
    Participant

Hi Barmac
    A spinal stmulator is different to a pain pump.
    A stimulator is a like a tens unit but the electrodes are surgically implanted on the spinal cord and then the battery which is built into the machine is placed under the skin usually on your side. It is similar to a pace maker. It sends electrical pulses which feel like a tingling sensation.
    I havent seen a pain pump but from what i have heard a pain pump is filled with morphine and the morphine is put straight to the area of your pain (though i have never seen 1 so i may have got that wrong . I hope that helps a bit

Rob
    Participant

Im not sure here either Nicky. The battery that is with a ten year life is charged at intervals of two to six weeks. Dat hasnt come back to say if the replacement battery of ten years went into the casing that held a 12 month battery. Somehow I doubt it as the casing is made for the charger which the original short life one wouldnt be. It would be really helpful if you would come back onthis Dat when you are able as it means that older units are easily updated. In essence it means less cuts in the body for battery replacement which is a blessing !

nicky
    Participant

Hi Rob
    After hearing from Dat it seems that the electrodes dont move but an adapter is needed to connect the electrode leads from the synergy to the new rechargable stim
    You have to have an operation to change the synergy stim to the new rechargable one, once that is in place it shouldnt need changing for 10 years so in my case it will rule out having to go into the same scar year after year

Rob
    Participant

So if that is NHS they have agreed that to save long term money the rechargeable is more economical than the older version?? Think we had worked that one out and nice that the NHS is getting there at last ! I am looking forward to Walton and see what happens on the 13th !

Diana.
    Participant

The Pump is about a 4 hour procedure you will have a trial before hand there is a one day trial but usually a weeks trial as an in patient.
    If trial is good the implant will go ahead the pump is about 5 inches width and 2 half inches depth quite big they do now have a new one that is slightly smaller. you then have a catherter tunneled from pump around to spine threaded into the Intrathecal space you will have 3 incisions. I have a mix Of Morphine and Clonodien, I have had Hydromorphone but it did not suit me.You will be in hospital a week.It is uncomfortable and soar but will ease after around two weeks no lifting twisting 8 weeks.
    Diana UK

Diana.
    Participant

Follow on– The pump is usually placed in the tummy area mine is just under ribs near belly button
    (mine hits my rib and sometimes slides underneath)the pump is in a pocket and anchored via stitches. The scar for pump about 5 inches then one on the side of hip 1 inch to inch an half then the one on the spine this is about 4 inches this one was very soar. The pump at first feels very heavy in the tummy. The cathter is placed in the spine near to where your pain is if like mine more lower lumber the catheter will be placed around T10. You can get a spinal headache this is very unpleasant I experienced it .The increases are very slow and can take up to a year to get good relief, You will be almost married to the pain dept. Very Invasive procedure this is for life.
    Diana UK.
    Hope this helps Barmac Like I said you can email to chat more if u want..

Rob
    Participant

YES!!!!!! Lucky 13th
    All went well today and the stim goes ahead subject to the routine physcological tests being ok. Better than that a choice of stim as well which will be discussed later. He was happy with the suitability as the relevant nerve responses remain and agreed in the main with the findings in Belgium. It really shouldnt have taken since April 2005 to get this far and there is still a long haul ahead. I am delighted and thank the people that have supported me on here throughout. Funny but now it all seems so much more daunting than before.

Liz
    Participant

Rob

I am soooooooooooooooo very pleased for you and very envious…not that you have the delights of surgery to look forward to, but that you are further down the line, and a little closer to some relief from your symptoms, all being well.

I will email you soon. I am no further yet, still waitng for letters etc. to exchange hands and then see what happens.

Heres to an extremely promising 2008…..hopefully for all of us…but particularly you. It just goes to show that research and persistence does pay off in the long run, however tough it can be going through the process.
    Many Kind Regards, and thanks for your encouragement, you have inspired me to persist.
    Liz x

nicky
    Participant

Hi Rob,
    Thats fantastic news im so pleased for you if you have anymore questions along the way im only to happy to answer them.
    Lucky 13 for both of us today. I went to see Mr Lam for an opinion and he feels he may be able to help me. He has to carry out several more tests before he can be sure but there may be a tiny chink of light from down a very dark tunnel

Rob
    Participant

Consistently Lam is the best that you can get in the UK and I hope all goes well for you too. I know that you struggle more than most and hope that light blinds you. There is always hope and hopes can become reality too. Good luck and thanks for being there

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.