Spinal Cord Stimulator, SCS – Part 24

Home Forums General Spinal Cord Stimulator, SCS – Part 24

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Mrs Hurtyback
    Participant

Hi guys,

sorry I haven’t been around for a while, it is nice to see some names that I recognise.

I am currently on the waiting list for trials at both Bristol and Southampton but an fairly sure that I am going to go with Southampton, no matter which appointment comes up first. The Southampton surgeon uses the St Jude device (patron saint of lost causes, someone has a sense of humour!) which is not adaptive or MRI safe, but I prefer to let him use the device with which he is most comfortable.

The good thing is that, at Southampton, I can trial both a low frequency and also the nevro device with just the one lead insertion.

I haven’t been told about any post-insertion restrictions although I have read some stuff. What are the restrictions for a thoracic placement?

jackien
    Participant

I have just been referred to Oxford John Radcliffe for Spinal Cord Stimulator – Does anyone know how long the waiting list is for appointments and trials? thanx

Woody
    Participant

I had my SCS at the JR. I waited 5 months from referral to implant! I was in for 2 weeks had trial on the Tuesday of first week, full implant on Thursday of the second week!

This was 2 years ago so may have changed!

If you have any questions please contact me and I will do my best to help?

Mrs Hurtyback
    Participant

Crikey Woody, that’s good going! I have already waited 20 months from referral and there is still no sign of a trial 🙁 Not Oxford, BTW

TowersH
    Participant

I’m on the waiting list for the navro senza at St Thomas for neck, arm and head pain. I had the tech day at the beginning of feb, had to wait until early April for the next appt to see the consultant and go on the actual surgery list. The wait now is just awful. If you ring up the receptionists just say it will be another 2-3 months from now. I’m just in limbo and can’t get on with my life. Only just holding down my job as a podiatrist. I’m just praying that the surgery will actually happen soon and will work. It’s the emotional side that is hardest at the moment 🙁

Woody
    Participant

Mrs Hurtyback, I was a patient at St Thomas’ but had my funding pulled, I think the JR took pity on me!

Mrs Hurtyback
    Participant

It must have been terrible to have the funding pulled Woody! I am glad that The Radcliff took pity on you.

Woody
    Participant

It was horrible, 2 weeks before the op they pulled the funding! But have to say the JR were brilliant!

I had a lot of trouble with wounds and infection to start with so had to go back in every week for 3 months, so better to be closer to home!

jackien
    Participant

Woody – thank you for the reply!! My Consultant referred me last week so wanted some idea of time. I had surgery 18 months ago and the surgeon damaged the S1 nerve so have lost feeling along s1 nerve root leg foot back agony (usual story) I am just praying the SCS offers some relief.

frosty
    Participant

Dear TowersH ,
    I too am still waiting to see the Consultant prior to having the implant . I had my Tech day in April and have been advised to come off my morphine based drugs this is very hard . I too am told it will be 2 3 mths before I get to see the consultant prior to having the surgery. I hope will both get there quickly . keep smiling

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi – this is my first post here, but I’ve been following you all for a couple of years now. Decided to finally post as seeing my surgeon tomorrow morning, following a failed revision of fusion last Oct. This isn’t my first appt, but I feel I should be going in and saying that everything is hunky dory – it definitely isn’t. Not sleeping, pain worse than ever and now in both feet having just been in one, increased oxycontin etc etc I think he will discharge me and refer me to St Thomas’ for scs assessment as we have spoken about it before – anything i should be asking at this stage?? I think i am in need of support & am so happy to have found you lovely people who understand. look forward to chatting, Claire

TowersH
    Participant

Claire
    It’s a long road when the pain is like we all have. You need to get the consultant to tell you all the options you have. Be clear what you want. Hope things go well x

Wend
    Participant

Not been on for a while but just wanted to say I am finally having my trial next Wednesday. Feeling very nervous but hopeful too. Enjoyed reading Tina’s diary as it’s nice to hear from a patient and not just a doctor.

Having it done in Bristol and having the Nevro system.

I will keep you all posted how it goes.

Wend

Navchic
    Participant

Hi Wendy
    Good luck with your trial – I have a Nevro SCS, and I’m really glad I went ahead with it. It has helped me manage my pain much better.
    Good Luck T

Woody
    Participant

Went for my 6 monthly battery check on Monday, turns out it is seriously low!

Getting a replacement fitted next Tuesday, good news is they are fitting a rechargeable this time, so should last longer this time!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.