Spinal Cord Stimulator, SCS – Part 24

Home Forums General Spinal Cord Stimulator, SCS – Part 24

Viewing 7 posts - 181 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Navchic
    Participant

Morning Folks,
    Just a quick query for others with a SCS, do you know if I need antibiotic cover if I’m having dental work done? What do they tell you in your hospital? My team said ‘ask the dentist’ and the dentist said ‘ask the team! If I ask my GP she will cover me, but don’t want to take unless I need to.
    Thanks T

Bex
    Participant

Hiya,

I’ve never had antibiotics for dental work. Don’t know if I should have but had no issues anyway! I’ll ask my clinic & see what they say. I’ll let you know later on as nurse is at lunch.

Bex

Navchic
    Participant

Thanks Bex,
    I asked a microbiologist at work and she said no, so that’ll do 🙂 Hate the dentist! Still better to go I suppose.
    T

Bex
    Participant

Hiya. No worries. I’m with you on that one. Have got to have dental work done soon so am interested to see what they say.I didn’t get a reply yest but if I do I’ll let you know what the clinic says if you want?
    Take care,

Bex

Mrs Hurtyback
    Participant

After more than 3 years waiting,I finally had my SCS implanted at Southampton hosp on 4th Feb this year.
    I am told that the op took longer than expected as I had a lot of scar tissue from the trials (I had 2 as the lead moved a lot the first time).They also had to remove more spinal bone than usual to get the paddle electrode positioned. I was a bit sore when I woke up afterwards!It took a while to get on top of the pain (due to the amount I am on anyway) but the anaesthetist was very good. It was very difficult to move for a few days, the journey back home on the 3rd day post op was not much fun.
    I have the St Jude Prodigy which is low frequency (that is what I wanted) but the technology is such that I am supposed to run it just under the level at which I feel it. No benefit as yet 🙁
    I am moving much more comfortably now, which makes it harder to remember the instructions! It is still uncomfortable to lean against a hard chair back and I am glad to remove even the soft bra at the end of the day. For an L5 nerve problem the electrode is placed around T10. I have managed one successful charge, the charger doesn’t find the IPG easily, even through the controller paddle does?
    No follow up at Southampton for at least 3 months as they don’t have enough appointments to see me sooner…

Ros
    Participant

I have had my permanent implant inserted 1 week ago following a very successful trial. The battery is between my waist and bra strap area. I just wondered if anyone can give me some insight into the process of this being a hard uncomfortable lump in my back and feeling like it is part of me and that pressure on the batterydoesn’t make me feel sore??
    Many thanks

Steve1976
    Participant

Hi Ros I had my permanent SCS implant 3 years ago now. ( SCS BS Precision Spectra 32 Contact Paddle) I debated for some time prior to the implant about having it in my buttock which tends to be more common and preferable by the surgeons and in my waist area. They prefer to put it in your buttocks because generally people have more fat and therefore padding in this area, I was concerned about pain sitting for long periods. I decided against this and had in the same area as you. Initially after surgery it did feel very strange sore and uncomfortable, however after 6 months I had no pain or discomfort and now after 3 years continue to have no pain and really pleased I had it in this area. Sometimes if I fluctuate in weight slightly the box becomes a little more prominent but it still does not hurt even when I lie on it in bed. Although I am of average size I think it could cause pain / discomfort if you lose excessive weight and I was warned about this prior to surgery.

Viewing 7 posts - 181 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.