Spinal Cord Stimulator, SCS – Part 24

Home Forums General Spinal Cord Stimulator, SCS – Part 24

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Bex
    Participant

Hi Navchic,

Thanks for the reply. I saw the nursing team today & they say no infection. Is just down to me being a chronic pain patient. I like the name you have for yours – mine is just Stim. I think my body just doesn’t like pain at all and this is all part of it. I’ve been told I can go back to work from Wednesday so will start off with mornings & take it from there.
    Gotta get back to life again!
    Hopefully it will all calm down soon though.

Take care,
    Bex

Navchic
    Participant

Hopefully it will settle soon, don’t know many bodies that do like pain – to be fair…
    Floyd was named after Pink floyd, not because I am a fan but because they have a song called ‘Comfortably numb’, seemed like a good aim after I had it put in! So it got Christened!
    Good luck in work, take it easy.
    T

Bex
    Participant

Definitely a good way to name your stim!
    Thanks for the good wishes. Nervous about how sore I’ll be sitting upright for prolonged periods so set my fitness tracker alarm every hour to get up and walk around.
    Am also excited to try out my new programmes ☺.

Take care,
    Bex

DavidWirral
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I had my permanent implant on the 19th October and although it is giving me some good pain relief once it was reprogrammed but I felt my world was falling apart when the dreaded brown envelope landed on the mat informing me that my DLA benefit was coming to an end. I rang them and I was sent a claim form to fill in which I did. I have now hot to go for a medical on Friday and I an dreading going. I desperately want to be in the situation where I can secure employment but at the moment I am still not well enough and still have care issue. Can anyone share there experiences of what kind of things were asked at the assessment. Thanks Dave

juliem60
    Participant

I have one fitted but it not as successful as I hoped for

savvy62
    Participant

My hubby had a Medtronic SCS fitted in May last year but was disappointed with the results. He had the lead adjusted in December and now needs tweaks to be made to get pulsation to be better. Not really as good as we had hoped.

DavidWirral
    Participant

Hi Juliem60 I am sorry that your implant was not as successfull that you hoped for. Is it a lot worse than the trial one. For me I am getting some relief from some of the pain but not like what I got with the trial. I’ve had three reprogram visits and the last one seems better but having problems with walking still but was told that may not improve. Since the operation I am finding that my feet are very numb and like blocks of ice most of the time but I suppose that’s just a coincidence. Sorry to hear it was not successful in your circumstances.

JoP
    Participant

Hi. In everyone’s experience, how long did you have to wait for the SCS trial? My husband has been on the waiting list for 2 years now and all that happens is every time he chases the wait time is extended? This is with John Radcliffe Hospital? Any advice appreciated?

Bex
    Participant

Hi,
    Bearing in mind mine was 6 years ago & being one of the first 30 patients at my hospital who was given one, I think I waited about 6 months or so. My trial was overnight then they did the full implant the following morning but that has changed drastically & the trial lasts longer before the full implant is done.

Good luck to your husband.

Bex

juliem60
    Participant

I had mine fitted when it was a short trial they now want me to go back in and have it updated to a Mir friendly one as with this one I can’t have an Mir scan I also go back about every 3 to 4 moths to be reprogrammed but the last twice I’ve only let them change 2 of my programs

Bex
    Participant

My IPG is now MRI friendly but my leads aren’t. Personally unless a wire breaks etc, I won’t be having mine changed as being wide awake when they were put in I found it really traumatic and extremely painful. I’m still able to have CT scans which although aren’t quite as good or as detailed still do the job.
    I’ve got to wait 2 months for the new IPG to scar in then they’ll turn on the Adaptivestim – after that they don’t want to see me for 6 months. Until it ran out I was seeing the clinic once a year.

Bex

juliem60
    Participant

I must admit I was the same I found it very painful and always said I’d never have it done again I had to have the first one done twice and it was the worse op I’ve every had and I’ve had a few ops over the yrs after reading your post about the wires not being Mir friendly I don’t think I will agree to have it done again I will of course check it out first but I did tell them I wouldn’t have it done awake agiain they told me at Dudley I might be able to be asleep when they change it so I’m now waiting to see if that’s possible .

Bex
    Participant

My hospital keep you awake but another local one put you into a twilight sleep and once the wires are in wake you up to see if they can get good stimulation and adjust them if need be. They then put you back asleep again to tunnel the wires & do the battery.
    I had my first wire put in 5.5 yrs ago then they decided to add a second one in 3.5 yrs ago and this summer I started to get the message to say my battery was running out. But you’re right, it was the worst pain I’ve ever gone through when they put in the wires!
    You definitely need to discuss it all with your consultant and decide together.
    I wear a medic-alert bracelet so that if I have an accident they’ll know not to MRI me.

juliem60
    Participant

I have now ordered a medic bracelet that’s a good idea never thought of what would happen if I ever had am accident or something like it as no one would even know I had a stim fitted so that you for that.i will disgust thing I have to go see them this Monday so I will make sure I ask the right questions before I make my mind up

Bex
    Participant

Hiya,

No problem. Always good to be prepared! I’m definitely a ‘just in case’ person (you should look in my handbag!).
    Good luck on Monday with the hospital let me know how you get on? I’ve just got an appointment through for them to play with the Adaptivestim functions on my stim so looking forward to that and I managed to start going back to work on phased return from Wed just gone so onwards & upwards.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,

Bex

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.