Sacroiliac fusion in GB – Part 1

Home Forums General Sacroiliac fusion in GB – Part 1

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Steffiegirl
    Participant

Hi Kitty,

Yes of course I have crutches and I know about the weight bearing aspects of this operation. Personally I find it doesn’t always seem necessary to use crutches when it feels ok. I mean I don’t walk about or do much of anything but if I want to make a cuppa then I don’t need the crutches. When it aches I lie down with a cold pack.

Doesn’t it depend on how the surgeon approached the SI joint ? The difference between the posterior and lateral approach. The lateral approach seems to be where you’re going to need crutches for 6 weeks.

The hospital phoned me yesterday to make arrangements for PT in 6 weeks, so I have an appointment in the middle of June.

The surgeon did mention to me before the op that some people ditched the crutches well before 6 weeks. I’m going to ask him which approach he used as I really can’t see me needing crutches hardly at all.

Barb

kitty
    Participant

Hi Barb,

Be careful! Using the crutches isn’t only about how it feels to put weight on the operated side… and when you think how much you’ve got invested in a good outcome, taking extra care for a few weeks is a small price to pay! Someone from the DIANA manufacturers was in the operating room when I had my op, and told me later that new research shows that actually 8 weeks is the optimal time to have to use crutches! It was such a hassle 🙁 but anyway, I did it.

I wasnt allowed to go anywhere near a physio until 6months- and then only with a physio who was familiar with this new technique.

Btw, know a lady who lives near to you, who possibly had your surgeon!

kitty
    Participant

PS Have a look online at the DIANA site.. you can see the approach/way the operation is done.

Steffiegirl
    Participant

Hi Kitty,

Wonder why they are sending me for PT in 6 weeks then ? hmmmm.
    Yes, I’ve seen the DIANA method done online.

BTW, Sarah emailed me so we’ve been chatting and I think she’s popping around sometime this week.

Barb

Daisy
    Participant

Hi Steffiegirl,
    Glad to hear your operation has been successful. How are you now? I have been trying to find a surgeon in Scotland who performs sacro-iliac fusion. So far I haven’t found one. Did you have the Diana procedure done in Aberdeen? I live in Ayrshire.

Steffiegirl
    Participant

Hi Diasy,

Yes, I had mine done in Aberdeen. The surgeons name is …….(Mod4 here: forum rules don’t allow us to name medical practitioners but Daisy can email you for the name privately).

You can contact him at Albyn Hospital or just google him and if you don’t live in Aberdeen then I’m sure he can help you find one elsewhere in Scotland. He’s really nice and down to earth, you can have a good chat with him.
    I’m 11 days post op now and just a little bit achy-ish. Haven’t bothered wth pain killers for the last 4 days…woohooo onward and upward eh ??

Steffiegirl
    Participant

Hi Daisy,

Oops think I spelt your name wrong before ! Yes I did have the DIANA procedure as that’s what my surgeon favours.

kitty
    Participant

So glad to hear that you are doing so well, Steffi! I think this DIANA procedure is great- it also is far less likely to affect other/nearby nerves and structures, which has got to be a bonus! I’m 13months post-op now and still so happy I had it 🙂

I know another lady who had the same thing with probably your same surgeon…she is doing really well, also…

Steffiegirl
    Participant

Hi Kitty,

Just read your post. Can you tell me when you were able to stand on both feet without any pain ? I’m asking because I find I can do it now and even walk, although I am using one crutch most of the time because everybody says you have to.
    Some of the other posts I’ve read and various other sites make it sound like a person has to be laid up in bed for 6 weeks but Im not finding that to be the case.
    I’m using the crutch because it seems like I MUST use it but everything feels ok and working ok. Obviously I’m still lolling around most of the time.
    Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Barb

Helena44
    Participant

Hi All

Hope everybody is doing well. I am 2 days post op from my iFuse SI joint fusion op and at home and fingers crossed recovering well. Crutches are hard to use and the incision on my right buttock is very sore ! But it can only improve. Non weight bearing on my right side for 4 weeks and gentle physio begins in 2-3 weeks. Anyone got any tips for recovery? Just getting through a lot of Tv series and have moved my bed downstairs as stairs are too difficult at the moment.

Hope everyone is recovering well.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you 🙂

Steffiegirl
    Participant

Hi Helena44,

Good to hear you’re doing ok. The boredom grows on you hehe. I felt the first week would never end. But now I’m 5 weeks post op tomorrow 04.06 and still aching on both sides actually because the left side is taking a battering trying to prop up the r/side.
    But I’m sure it’ll all be worth it in the end.
    I’m seeing the consultant this evening 03.06 so I’ll ask him when to expect any improvement with the aching.
    Oh by the way I’m not using the crutches at home really only for the stairs or trips to the shop.

Chin up Barb

kitty
    Participant

Sorry, only just seen this….
    I wasn’t allowed to stand on my own two feet (so to speak!) until 8 weeks, it was crutches all the way 24/7 up until then, no matter how I felt. At first I was told it would be 6 weeks but later my surgeon said that research was showing that 8 weeks was optimum. He said that this gave the joint more time to settle in/start fusing etc. I had little or no pain during this time.
    Anyway. Alkl the very best to you…hope your doctor can give you some answers. Take care…baby steps!

Steffiegirl
    Participant

Hi Kitty,

Saw the surgeon yesterday (also had a few xrays) and all looks well and he said I can give up the crutches and if I feel I need one for balance, then use it. But I don’t. I will take a walking stick though if going to the local shop. Also I mentioned to him about starting physio and he said it’s 6 weeks after surgery not 6 months. Oh I don’t know they all seem to have their own methods.
    He said he wants me to get walking (and so do I) to start moving properly I suppose.
    Anyway I’m still sore/achy and am taking is very gingerly doing bits and pieces. But still it can only get better.

I will keep the forum updated.
    Bye for now
    Barb

Steffiegirl
    Participant

NEWSFLASHNEWSFLASHNEWSFLASH UPDATE…

Six weeks after op…..

WOOHOO went for a wee walk today albeit 20-25 minutes, it was lovely. Could feel it in my legs though. So slowly, slowly, bit by bit. Onwards and upwards til I get back to my racing weight.

Anybody considering this op, definitely DO IT !

More later 🙂

Steffiegirl
    Participant

Morning all,

Update : going on for 11 weeks post op. I’m doing my physio twice a day but I’m wondering when does the physio kick in and you can actually feel an improvement. I’ve always thought that about physio. No pain on walking which is brilliant but still my lower back, hip and around top of pelvis aches when I walk too much. Think I need injections in my knees and ankles…..will check this out later in the year.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.