Sacroiliac fusion in GB – Part 1

Home Forums General Sacroiliac fusion in GB – Part 1

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Janilou
    Participant

Hi Eva, Kitty and now Harris
    I was disappointed after my trip to Cardiff, that through no fault of the surgeon, I was not a candidate for SI fusion, whether Globus or iFuse. I don’t know whether Eva had had an MRI before going to Cardiff, but it was following the MRI I was given at Cardiff, that they realised that my problem was not the SI joint but the L5/S1 joint. Have you had an MRI Harris?
    I had had steroid injections and three lots of radio frequency denervation over the last 5 years, and I have just had some more injections at the pain clinic after the MRI had been viewed. It is only10 days since, but so far so good, just a sensation not a pain in the region. If this is successful for 4 weeks, more denervation will follow. Good luck Harris and hope you can get the right treatment for you and do hope you are both totally pain free, Eva and Kitty.

Harris
    Participant

Harris—–Midlands
    Hi Janilou, really interesting to read what you have put. I have had an MRI scan which showed a large bone spur and some arthritis at L5/S1 which my consultant has discounted. Also had a CT scan which was inconclusive so maybe a second opinion from this consultant in Cardiff may prove productive.the consultant that I am seeing hasn’t any idea what my problem is. I’m seeing him again on Tuesday and need to get the scans etc to take with me on 30th. You have been really helpful. Thanks.

Harris
    Participant

Janilou

Sorry Janilou forgot to ask did you find difficulty sitting and walking with your L5/S1 problem? Really hope the injections works for you, will keep my fingers crossed, good luck.

Janilou
    Participant

Hi Harris, Yes, I have not been able to walk much for several years, a drive to M&S or Tesco and a walk around is enough before the pain kicks in. Sitting in a an easy chair is worse than say a dining chair, but not as bad as walking. Gardening is a big NO NO. I hope you can take a recent MRI scan with you to Cardiff and to have a highly approachable consultant to discuss your problem is a bonus. You sound a bit unsure of your current consultant. How long have you had problems? Do let us know how you get on – we are all searching for a once and for all solution! Good luck.

Harris
    Participant

Hi Janilou

Sounds almost like an identical problem. I can’t sit on any soft chairs, only a hard chairs when I am actually sitting on my sitting bones. Driving is a No No unless I have something hard to sit on and something hard at my sacrum. Had this problem since April and is much worse now. No pain relief at all even when I go to bed now, it gets me to tears from time to time. The SI and Epidural injections were diagnostic so neither worked so that can’t be the problem. I have recent MRI and CT scans, the journey to Cardiff worries me sitting etc. but it’s a no brainier I have to go because he is one of the top spinal surgeons in the country, and it would be great just to get a diagnoses . Will let you know how I get on, really hopes everything goes well for you.

Eva
    Participant

Hello Harris

My SI joint problem caused me a great deal of pain. I needed a hard upright chair, a firm mattress and could not walk without exacerbating the pain. I was frightened to move and felt trapped in my home. The pain was in the right SI joint, in the right groin, in the piriformis muscle which was constantly in spasm and that caused sciatica. I too have had numerous injections into the joint over many years and prolotherapy on several occasions. Any slight relief was temporary. My big worry was leaving home and travelling 104 miles to see my surgeon. A scan was taken at the hospital and it showed a very worn and inflamed right SI joint. My surgeon suggested that I was an ideal candidate for a SI fusion. Incidently I was already fused from S1-L3.

I wish you all the best.

Harris
    Participant

Hello Eva

Your reply was very helpful, thank you. I too have had prolotherapy injections, because I am still in a lot of pain after the SI steroid injection and epidural for some reason my consultant has decided that SI joint is not the problem. He’s a young consultant and maybe not very experienced in this field. Like you I need a very firm mattress on my bed And feel like a prisoner in my own home because it is so painful to walk I only go out if I really have too. Will keep in touch after I have seen my consultant on the 30th. So pleased your recovery is going well. Take Care.

Janilou
    Participant

Hi Harris, I see you are from the Midlands, and I have since learned of surgeons being trained on the iFuse procedure, in Nottingham and Leicester,both private and NHS. There is one at Leicester LGI who has a special interest in back problems and another in Ketteringham, Woodlands private hospital, who is well recommended. This is a possibility if you feel the journey to Cardiff is too much for you. Just hope you get a satisfactory answer and will look forward to hearing after 30th Oct.

Harris
    Participant

Hi Janilou

Thanks for your concern, at the moment The plan is to go to Cardiff and do the journey with an overnight stay and see how I get on. Will keep in touch.

Harris
    Participant

Hi Eva

Just had a thought if it is my SI joint which is causing me all the pain do you think your surgeon would do a fusion the fact that I have osteoporosis.? That’s not the cause of this problem but it’s a tricky one. Oh dear beginning to get deflated now.

======================================

Hi All, I’m sorry but I’ve had to remove all the consultants’ and surgeons’ initials from some of the above posts. This is because they can be easily identified and is against Rule 6 of the PainSupport Forum. I wish you all the best of luck with your problems.
    PainSupport Moderator 2

======================================

Eva
    Participant

Hello Harris

I can’t comment of whether he will operate but you will be consulting one of the best spinal surgeons in the country. You must trust his judgement.

He is a kindly man, is easy to talk to and will answer any worries you may have.

Try to stay positive; I know how difficult that will be as anxiety almost got of the better of me, but when I arrived at the hospsital I felt very calm.

Good luck.

Janilou
    Participant

Whatever has happened to Harris? It would have been interesting to hear how he got on after his appt in Cardiff

dalhousie
    Participant

I also have right sided SIJ problems. My spinal history is fusion at L1/2, artificial disc replacement surgery at L4/5. I’ve had an SIJ injection with limited, short lived results so the next option may be ablations. If it came to it I’m not sure my surgeon has done lots of SIJ fusions so I may consider going to Cardiff. It’s a long trip – on Google maps it says it’s 4 hours one way so a huge undertaking with the amount of pain I’m in. This coming week I was going to pass an email on to Eva via Jan to see how she managed coped with it all being far away. It’s a weight on my shoulders but I’m taking things one step at a time. Eva’s story is encouraging & giving me hope.

dalhousie
    Participant

P.S. Just a thought but does anybody know any good sacro-iliac spinal surgeons in the north west or Lancashire. I know you can’t post names on here but if you know of any it might be possible to send an email to me via Jan.

Foxy1957
    Participant

Hi. Can anyone help me? I had a spinal fusion at L4/5 in 1998 which was successful. However I now have had severe pain in my SI for the past six years. I have had numerous SI injections every six months which can relieve my pain for a while. However this December after injections in both sides I have been in absolute agony. I am so tired of feeling like this that I need to know other options. My consultant has mentioned investigating SI fusions but he said they do not always bring pain relief. Can someone advise please. Many thanks. Yvonne

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.