Sacroiliac fusion in GB – Part 1

Home Forums General Sacroiliac fusion in GB – Part 1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Eva
    Participant

I had no difficulty using crutches. I have used them before.

As I live in a bungalow stairs were not a problem. My home has high sockets, a helping hand in every room, a walk in shower with a drop down seat, plus a high toilet and basin.

When showering I wrapped a swathe of cling film around my middle to cover the op-site plaster.

I have no pain in the joint but gentle excercises causes an ache in some muscles.

Although the surgeon suggested I use a walking stick, I really do not need one.

I shall be thinking of you on the 9th.

Janilou
    Participant

Thank you Eva for your information and it is so encouraging to hear how well both you and Kitty are getting on. What is happening with Lucie B in UK?
    I have read up on the Globus procedure and I can see how new it is. I suppose the surgeon will decide which is most appropriate.
    Incidentally, I contacted SI Bone in the States who forwarded my details to their European people and after I had decided to go to Cardiff, I was contacted. Apparently, more surgeons are trained in the UK and some places it can be done on the NHS. He only named one in my area, but if Jan is agreeable, I can put the European contact on this site for everyone to see. It is good to know that these less invasive techniques are spreading to the UK.

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Yes, you are welcome to post the name of the hospital concerned.

Janilou
    Participant

Had my consultation in Cardiff last Monday, but then had to go to different hospital for MRI scan later that day. It’s pretty certain that surgeon will go ahead with the Globus SI lok but he is to phone me early next week as he has been at a conference since he saw me. How friendly and helpful everyone was. My only concern is that he wants me to stay for 4 or 5 days, because we have travelled so far. How long were you in for Eva?

Eva
    Participant

Janilou

I was thinking about you all day on Monday.

I was in hospital from Sunday to Sunday because I have had three thromboses in the past and so my blood needed to be montintored carefully.

The hospital is like no other that I have stayed in. It is superb – it was rather like being on holiday and the food was delicious.

I had no pain after surgery and the incision healed very quickly.

All the best to you and keep in contact.

Janilou
    Participant

Eva, thanks for your last posting and so glad to hear all is progressing well with you. You have obviously had a lot of problems over some time and it is good to know that something is successful. I totally agree with you about Vale Hospital – where else would you go in to the ‘restaurant’ and sit down with the surgeons at the next table! It was just all so relaxed and friendly – even the consultation.
    Will post again when I hear from Dr.

Janilou
    Participant

Eva, I had my phone call from Cardiff yesterday and am still feeling a bit deflated. The consultant finds that all the inflammation is much lower than the sacro and iliac joint ( which he says is not too bad) and therefore he would not want to carry out the Globus procedure and find that the pain is just as bad.
    So it is back to the drawing board with injections going into the right place if and when I can get an appointment. He offered to do it in Cardiff but I felt that to travel that far was not an option when I can get this locally.
    Hope all is continuing well with you..

Eva
    Participant

Janilou

What a disappointment for you. I know how it feels when you have built up your hopes and then things do not work out as you expected.

Take heart that one of the best spinal surgeons has pin pointed where the trouble lies.

Ask for a copy of the scan and the radiologists report so that whoever you go to next can see it.

I wish you all the best and do continue to keep me informed.

kitty
    Participant

Hi Janilou, I’m so sorry that things have not turned out the way you’d hoped… but as Eva says, all is not lost. A very good doctor has identified your pain generator, and advised some treatment-fingers and toes all crossed for you that it will help. Keep us posted, when you can. Hugs x

Janilou
    Participant

Eva and Kitty – thank you both for your messages of support. Cardiff are sending a copy of the MRI and a letter from the consultant so I hope the next pain clinic can stick the needle in the right place! I still need to know what is causing the problem. My next apt is 16th October so will write again after that.
    Warm wishes to you both.

phil
    Participant

I wonder whether if this surgeon is my surgeon who gave me a tlif in 2012, as he has said I might need a sacroiliac fusion as I am still in tremendous pain from my L5/S1 fusion but everything has fused.He is a neurosurgeon spinesurgeon there and if the pain has left you and how long a hospital stay would be without blood problems ,also how long before pain went away and life returned to normal

Wend
    Participant

I just wondered if any of you who have had surgery on your SI joint still have pain. I had a two level fusion 2 years ago and my new surgeon in Bath has told me both SI joints are severely degenerated. As I am on a waiting list for a spinal cord stimulator he suggested we wait and see if that helps with the pain before looking at surgery. Any information on the surgery, outcome and whether you think SCS will help would be appreciated.

Wend x

Eva
    Participant

Phil

My surgeon is an orthopaedic surgeon.

Straight after my SI fusion the pain had gone. I continue to be free of pain. The hospital stay without blood complications is usually 4-5 days.

Best wishes to you.

Eva
    Participant

Wend

My right SI joint was severely degenerated and the cartilage had worn away. I asked the surgeon what if the other SI joint were to wear and he said that he would fuse that too.

I know nothing about SCS.

Harris
    Participant

Eva
    Harris. Midlands
    Just read all the comments about your SI fusion really interesting so much so I have made an appointment to see the consultant 30th Oct was the earliest appt. Did your SI problem cause you difficulty sitting and walking? I am in terrible pain in the Sacrum, steriod injection in the SI joint no relief, epidural no relief.just wondering what symptoms you had to pin point the SI joint was the problem. Pleased you are doing so well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.