Residential Pain Management Programmes

Home Forums General Residential Pain Management Programmes

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

George thank you for good info re INPUT.

The unit was very good until Dr Pither’s team left.
    I need support at night with medication management-ie 24hour support not just day support and I do not want a rehab programme as it has issues for me-it says for me that recovery will never happen and I still believe it is possible.
    I am still looking for morphine reduction pogramme as in patient as a structured programme and cannot find anything where at night where I get withdrawal terror feelings DTs and other probs can get support but not in a drug rehab unit with cocaine users. Big problem to find somewhere-all the drug clinics offered a programme but I said I wanted something with pain management as the coke addicts are aiming for zero where as I am aiming for reduction to mst 5mg and tramadol 25mg-not total zero.

I am always happy to answer queries.

New features on Dr Walker’s site and I posted comments on his blog-you can now comment on things on his site on the blog page.

Re sitting and pain-the exercises Dr Walker showed me-esp piriformis-see his website-it hs pics of him too-doing them-has helped so much and other stretches. the pain is what I get too-and my 3 minutes has built to 3 hours-a backstretcher helps as well as it pushes out the spine instead of it pushing and squashing itself in-just lie on floor and get on backstretcher twice a day.
    On bad chairs place a small towel rolled up vertically behind your upper back and chair to help stretch out spine again as tension when sitting pushes tension in.

getting late

You are all great people.

Bath has amazing programme and Atkinson Morley I think.
    Fenella

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found this site, which mentions Dr Pither, the same anaethestist who oversees the INPUT programme at St Thomas’ and it has a very comprehensive list of PMPs all over the country so thought it would be worth posting it here.www.btinternet.com/~thinkback/painman.htm

With regard to my experience of INPUT, there were seats, bean bags and floor mats for use through out the day and the lectures and classes. As the weeks progress, they do encourage one to keep moving even if you are lying more than sitting and they are used to people not being able to sit at all.
    I still cannot sit for long periods of time and probably never will, but have learnt that the goal is NOT to sit for long periods of time! Even if I go to the cinema, I make sure I have a seat where I can stand and sit and fidget without disturbing everyone. I too spend most of my day lying or reclining, but must remember to keep changing position and have little walks around the bedroom to avoid stiffness.
    I was interested to read about the clinic in Hammersmith but could not find any details on the net so any further info appreciated.
    It is true that the teams at INPUT do come and go but on enquiring was told that many use their time there as part of their further studies. This is a shame as one cannot help but to build up a quite intense and personal relationship with, say a particular physio or medication nurse and when they are not there when you call for advice after discharge or for one of the reviews it can be disheartening and I also think it to be difficult for a stranger to review your progress accurately as they have no knowledge of ones personal battle.
    The follow up support is somewhat lacking on many levels and I did feel that it was a case of once gone soon forgotten. I tried to carry on with my drug reducing regime at home but could have done with a telephone liason with a support team member of some sort, but this is not offered or available. Athough they do say to call if one has any problems, in reality no one is available and no one calls you back, so you give up. I know the course is all about learning to stand on your own two feet, but I could have done with a friendly ear sometimes in those early weeks after lleaving the unit.
    INPUT at St Thomas’ is lucky as it can allocate some high dependency clients with a bed in the medical ‘hotel’ unit. This floor is manned 24 hrs with a porter, has help buttons in the rooms and assisted bathiing facilities although one has to still be fairly self sufficient. I stayed on this floor because I was on a drug reduction programme and may have needed help with withdrawal.
    Am happy to keep answering any questions that come up but can only offer a reflection of my own experience of INPUT.

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.inputpainunit.net/default.htm
    Meant to post INPUT official site, (some other sites use this name) All the info, typical day etc
    Take a look.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi

The Bath Pain Management Programme is great, I went on one 2 years ago for 4 weeks as an inpatient. It is hard work, but it is worth it. RNHRD in Bath is a centre of excellance for Adult and teens.

Dee

Louise
    Participant

I did the real health residential programme in London for a month it was very good but very expensive if your not privately covered Approx £5000

organiclemon
    Participant

Real health is unlikely to be NHS funded.I went for an assessment at real HEalth and they cannot manage complex co morbidities .
    All PMPs now have to be consultant referred,. If you are refrred by a private consultant then the local PCT has to have a contract with that PMp or it will require funding otherwise.
    Fenella

Louise
    Participant

Actually you can be nhs funded to go on the pmp at real health but you may just have to wait quite a few months…..

organiclemon
    Participant

I applied for NHS funding for real health. However at the time real Health were not registered with the health carecommission so I agreed that it should not be funded. I had some concerns about the programme-as I the assessment i had with Dr Pither and his team -felt like I was not an individual but someone ona conveyor belt and then so many mistakes in the assesment report. They sent it out to Idia for typing (yess even the private sector do this) and the facts in report werefulll of mistakes.
    I therfore lost all confidence in them as I was treated as fenella but as another potential customer and was disappointed. I know many who ahve been helped by them but did not have the complex co morbidities I have -and this si weere te NHS excels and the private sector fails.
    If you have chronic pain and dont ahve other complications then it is great. But for someone lke me who has neurological problems and mental heath stuff I need something highly skilled and with genuine compassion-so I wanted Bath. The PCt willfund Bath but want a full report just to fund an assessment. me and my psychiatrist hae agreed that right now is not the best time for me bu later on.
    PCT do tho have acontract with St Thomases but I want a programme which has a high psychology input -higher at Bath than INPUt.Input is good though I hear despite probs when Dr Pithers team left.
    Fenella

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.