Air Conditioning Units/night sweats/Fibro

Home Forums General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable) Air Conditioning Units/night sweats/Fibro

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    susanliang
    Participant

Our bedroom is at the front of the house and is south-facing. Unbearable even with a fan. So we are now sleeping downstairs and at the back of the house and it is much cooler.

Josette
    Participant

When I first started this topic I had no idea that this summer would be so swelteringly hot!! The last couple of nights have been ghastly. On top of my “usual” night sweats and the unusually hot weather I have a COLD!! I have resisted buying a unit that has to have a pipe going out of the window due to the traffic noise here and also have dismissed other units as they are so noisy. Of course most of the good ones are very expensive (anything over about £100 is expensive for me LOL). I have been thinking about the wall mounted air conditioning units (which I have come across in hotels, in the days when I had the health and the dosh to stay in hotels). That kind is obvious “plumbed” into the fabric of the building (all new buildings in the u.k. should have integral air conditioning units which double as heaters, but it seems the powers-that-be haven’t yet thought of that!). I reckon that if I had one of those attached to a bedroom wall then the heat extracted could go out into my hallway where it could go straight up into the roof space, because I have followed the tip (found here) and am leaving my loft “hatch” open so that the heat can rise to the roof!! Obviously I would keep the bedroom door shut.
    Meanwhile I am getting by with an assortment of different things (sweatband dipped in iced water, ioniser/purifier, fan, iced water by the bed contained in a “cool/picnic” box with those ice boxes the ones that go in the cool box, large flannel dipped in said box and placed on pillow, gell filled cooling mask – you name it I’ve got it LOL).
    Sorry to waffle on so.
    This will run and run LOL.
    Love
    Josette

Di
    Participant

i couldn’t afford an air con unit and anyway my windows open at the top; too high really to have a hose hanging. I looked at teh room air coolers which you are supposed to site in the room dorrway but was told by the shop that they weren’t that good. I settled on a 12 inch portable circular fan from Sainsburys for £9.99 and it’s absolutely fantastic. Dead quiet; 3 settings the third of which freezes you. I’ve tried to get two more but they’d sold out. It not only cools me but when I set it to oscillate it really does cool the whole room. I have it near my bed on setting two for half an hour then turn it down to one when I got to sleep.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oops folks, the alternative to having the “elephant trunk thing out of the window, is to have a hole drilled through the wall so it goes straight outside — — — that will of course keep you to one room. Not much sense on a portable unit.

My thoughts of this have been about global warming and we had some jolly hot days last year. I think it’s going to continue now for some years I think, so I’m “fighting back”
    Best,
    Alastair : –)

Josette
    Participant

I am still trying to get hold of an air conditioning unit – ANY unit. My desire for the perfect unit has left me with no unit at all (LOL, that will teach me to be so picky).
    I have had another search today and there are still none anywhere, none in warehouses etc.
    With more boiling hot weather predicted for later in August I am dreading it, particularly as I may have to have my eye op soon (detaching retina).
    So much for the laws of “supply and demand”.
    Josette

susanliang
    Participant

Josette, B & Q currently have a mobile aircon unit on sale but only in their stores. Homebase have an air cooling unit online for £44. Or try ebay……..item no 280011758798.

Josette
    Participant

Dear Susan,
    Many thanks for the info. I phoned Homebase and was told that they had NO UNITS WHATSOEVER, ANYWHERE!! Don’t know what they are playing at.
    I’ll try to find a local B & Q to try.
    Thanks again.
    Josette

Josette
    Participant

Drat!!! Foiled again. I phoned B & Q and they have none in stock at all and no idea when/if they are getting any more.
    The search goes on. LOL
    Josette

Cynthia
    Participant

Hi Josette, I am new here, and have just spent a very entertaining half hour reading all the suggestions about keeping cool! I also have terrible trouble with night sweats which wake me up and also leave me with awful headaches….it’s as though the inside of my head is just boiling up! Do tell me whether you tried the ceiling fan? I also have a handy husband, so if they help I would certainly give one a try. I have tried a dehumidifier, which someone suggested, but didn’t find it helped at all. Oh well, I’ll just pop and fetch the ice pack from the freezer for now! Anyway, thanks for the entertainment! Night night
    Cynth

organiclemon
    Participant

I found a really good stand up fan unit-like a small tower-for about £20 in Robert DYas. It really hlps. But I also now put a small towel between my head and the pillow.
    Important to keep taking sips of water-I suspect the headaches are from dehydration amongst other things. However Some nights I sweat a lot and its uncomfortable.
    Take care
    Fenella

Sylvia4648
    Participant

I haven’t read all of your replies, but on the subject of room a/c’s in the US for so much less than in the UK, having lived in Europe many years ago, if nobody brought this up after I stopped reading, don’t forget about the voltage difference between our countries. If not for that, it might be reasonable to ship one – I mean ship, so it would take awhile -but then you’d have it forever – or until something happened to it. I don’t know how high voltage converters work and I’m sure the cost of converting the unit itself would be outrageous; and your fix-it guys would probably have little experience w/ that kind of converted object -i.e. the item itself converted or an object that size running on a converter.

Sorry to put the kybosh on your ideas, but realistically, I can’t imagine getting one from here to there until somebody wins a lottery – and then you could move or be able to pay for central a/c; LOL
    I went for about 12 years looking like (Bewitched, I take it, made itself to you) Darren when Endora had it raining on him, but nowhere else – and I looked like that WITH a/c! Between fibro, hormones and autoneuropathy, w/ an inability to tolerate ANY meds, herbs, supplements, etc. – i.e., ANYTHING THAT WOULD HELP, my heart goes out to all of you. Just last week my doctor promised me that, even I, w/ all of my odd problems, CAN’T go thru menopause twice; so now my dripping is more limited, but it’s still w/ me and probably always will be until somebody gets rid of heat + humididy. Since science seems to be going the other way…

Two more suggestion which aren’t permanent but help now and then. When I was pregnant w/ my son, we were in Germany where very few places were air conditioned. As you can imagine if you’ve sweat problems, between the long hard summer and the hormones, I was miserable. There was a Chinese restaurant around the corner that had little if any business during the day. But it was air conditionited! My ex (now) went to work at 3 pm. We’d walk around the corner at about noon, have a couple of hours of a slow lunch and before he had to go in, we’d walk back home. I’d stand in the tub and he’d hold the shower handle w/ cold water over my head for as long as it took for me to actually feel COLD for a while. It would have been a two way street, but I was too short. it did help, tho. That good old American ingenuity!

I wish you all cool thoughts, and having been there, I wish there was something more helpful than thoughts.

One piece of useful advice: don’t so anything quickly – even little things like making sandwiches. It may sound silly, but it does help.

Sylvia

Josette
    Participant

Dear Sweaty Friends,
    I have finally bought a mobile air conditioning unit. I thought I’d get in quickly this year before the summer comes and all the units are sold.
    It is an air con and allegedly a de-humidifier and air purifier. It has a remote control and is on castors. It is described as “whisper quiet”
    I ordered it on Saturday (the 10th) and it arrived today, Wednesday (the 14th).
    I haven’t tried it yet so can’t give it a proper review, but it seems simple to use.
    It cost only £200. It is from a company called Brookdale. I saw it advertised in The Guardian magazine.
    http://www.brookdaleshop.co.uk/aircon
    0871 871 2749 (Jan, hope it is O.K. to say that, and no, I’m not receiving a commision LOL).
    There is no way I could possibly go through another summer like last year’s and the predictions say this summer will be even hotter.
    I a still taking the Zinc, but have yet to see any improvement in my night sweats, but it is early days.
    Love
    Josette

Josette
    Participant

Dear All,
    My hubby managed to lug the air con upstairs to the bedroom and it works perfectly. Obviously the weather isn’t hot enough to see how it works in hot humid conditions, but the air coming out was lovely and chilly.
    I am so relieved.
    Love
    Josette

Lupin
    Participant

Josette.
    So glad your have managed to sort something out to help with the night sweats, I get them too, but by the sounds of it mine are not nearly as bad as yours. Lets hope it gives you relief all year around
    Lupin

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.