Air Conditioning Units/night sweats/Fibro

Home Forums General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable) Air Conditioning Units/night sweats/Fibro

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Josette
    Participant

Dear Julie,
    I WISH – ROFL.
    I have a tiny back yard/patio, there is no way I could possibly have a pool. I live on “welfare benefits” and even if I had the space I couldn’t afford a pool.
    I am interested in the Ceiling Fans and may go in that direction.
    HOW I WISH I had the space and the money to have a pool.
    Pools are extremely rare in the U.K. Most people who have one are incredibly wealthy, have a large amount of land and money to spare. Alas, most people with chronic pain in the U.K. are not in a position to have a pool.
    Kind Regards
    Josette

Josette
    Participant

Dear Susan,
    Thanks for your posting. Which ceiling fans did you get? Are they incorporated into a light fitting? Did you have to get an electrician to fit them? I think I may try a ceiling fan. How much did they cost? How easy were they to fit?
    Kind Regards
    Josette

susanliang
    Participant

Hi Josette, We bought a remote control fan from B & Q for £99 and a non remote control one off the internet for £60, the remote one is better. They come with a light and my husband fitted them but it was quite complicated. It might be cheaper to get a portable air conditioning unit.

Josette
    Participant

Dear Susan,
    Eeeeekkk, I thought you might have a “handy” husband. Alas, my hubby is pretty much useless at such things. He does have his positive qualities, e.g. he is a Dorchester (Hotel) trained chef, I guess we can’t have everything.
    The annoying thing is that I was always the one who was physically fit and able to do all sorts of amazing things. I was a painter and decorator for several years, but obviously the Fibro put pay to that.
    Where do you live? (hypothetical question, e.g. don’t answer if you don’t want to LOL), cos I could do with your hubby to install my fan LOL.
    Regards
    Josette

Rob
    Participant

Information not recommendation

It is exactly the same wiring in a ceiling fan light with lamp as it is for a ceiling light providing ther are no timing delays.
    US appliances normally run off 110 volts as a pose to 240 volts and transformers are readily available in the UK off shelf and commonly used for power tools.
    The important thing with ceiling fans is that they are securely fixed otherwise they oscillate which loosens the fixing screws and the fitting is in danger of crashing to the floor. I am not sure but there is legislation either in or about to come in about DIY wiring, but the job is fairly simple.
    I can say I have enjoyed the benefits of ceiling fans and moving air is definitely cooler than static air. Mine were part of the light fitting with a pull cord for the fan. They are not ‘pretty’ in the wrong place and are good at collecting dust, but they were reasonably effective given the right seat in the room.

Julie Phillipson
    Participant

oh Josette I was jokeing about the back yard swimming pool! Not all that many of us have them over this side of the ocean either and certainly not those of us who live on disability!
    There are public pools both in door and out door but you still got to pay to use them.

cheers
    Julie

Josette
    Participant

Dear Julie,
    Thanks for the explanation, we here in the U.K. have some strange notions about you in the U.S. (e.g. we think you all have your own swimming pools LOL).
    Apologies.
    Unless I could hid in the changing rooms when the local swimming pool closes I don’t think I would be allowed to sleep in the pool LOL.
    Love
    Josette

Josette
    Participant

Dear Rob,
    I think I may go with the ceiling fan idea. I have a local friend who is an electrician and he is sympathetic and may install a celing fan in my bedroom for a small fee.
    Thanks to everyone for the info.
    Kind Regards
    Josette

Josette
    Participant

P.S. (for Rob),
    Are your ceiling fans noisy? e.g. do they hum, buzz or otherwise make a noise? One of the worst effects of Fibromyalgia is that it makes sleeping almost impossible. Due to a cocktail of meds I am now able to sleep (intermittently) at night. Could you let me know if the ceiling fans make a noise?
    Many thanks.
    Josette

susanliang
    Participant

josette, the one we have in the bedroom, which cost £99 from B&Q and has a remote control and dimmer for the light, is very quiet. There is a slight noise but I have very sensitive hearing and I don’t notice it unless iI am consciously trying to hear it. I have heard ones which are much worse. Could you go to a shop and see one in action before you buy? Some of the bigger DIY stores have them on dosplay.

Rob
    Participant

Hi Josette
    I no longer have mine, but I used to have two in a combined lounge/dining room when I lived elsewhere. There was very little noise maybe a slight hum, but certainly not noticible. As I mentioned before the air moved better in different parts of the room and there were good places to sit and very good places. The ceilings were approx 8′ high and I would assume the very high victorian ceilings would achieve less benefit. At that time there were different sizes of fan blades on different models and then again I would assume the longer the blade, the bigger the motor (possibly more noise) the better the air movement. Your electrician friend probably will not charge much as it is only the physical fitting that is any more complicated than wiring a 3 pin plug. I seem to remember that it is important to put the blades on the right way up !! Not that I am admitting to any errors on my part.
    Good luck Rob

Josette
    Participant

Dear Susan and Rob,
    Many thanks for the advice. I will try to get a ceiling fan from B & Q and will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks again
    Josette

Rob
    Participant

Well,well,well
    I’ve just been to B&Q and there are air conditioners all down one aisle. I couldn’t begin to understand what the differences were, but it looked like conditioners for veryone. Old cheap and cheerful here went for a tower fan at £30 and it does cool the room over a period of time and is a pure delight when I sit near it blowing on my perspiring brow. Nothing like air con but a step in the right direction. There was a company advertising in the store that would come out and advise. It made me think that the systems that both heat and cool are probably the way to go in the future and maybe the days of which central heating boiler to pick are on the way out. Sorry must go for a cool down now.

Josette
    Participant

Dear Rob,
    Aha, that sounds much more like my price range – £30 LOL. Your purchase sounds like a fan, rather than an air conditioning unit, but if it helps, and is only £30 I’m all for it.
    However, I have a pretty powerful fan already, so I think it is now getting to the time of year when I am going to have to put it on at night. Methinks there is no point in looking for a miracle (talking about me here) when you are living on benefits LOL.
    Love
    Josette

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I was fed up with these very hot days and nights so decided to go to Comet buy a small air-conditioning unit which is movable and on wheels

The air-conditioning unit was really good, they give you two lumps of foam that the elephant trunks stick out of window which means that you can do the thing as a temporary measure without drilling big holes in the wall. It’s a French one called a Pro Line and I bought it at Comet — — — price approx £250. A good book of instructions, and it also filters the air at the same time as cooling it. You can use it just to circulate air if you wish.

We tried to keep it on overnight, it has two speeds for the fan and it is a little bit loud, I ended up switching it off at 3:30 a.m. which as you can guess was not the greatest nights sleep ever
    Cheers,
    Alastair 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.