Air Conditioning Units/night sweats/Fibro

Home Forums General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable) Air Conditioning Units/night sweats/Fibro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Josette
    Participant

I expect I am asking the impossible, but here goes anyway!!
    I have Fibromyalgia and dreadful night sweats. Having tried everything else (e.g. hormones sorted out via HRT, Sage for sweats, Black Cohosh for sweats, Cold pillow aka Chillow) none of which have worked in the long term, I am now thinking of getting a small portable air conditioning unit for my bedroom.
    From the research I have done so far, it seems that the unit needs either an “exhaust pipe” which would have to go out of a window (which means an open window with means traffic noise etc. which will prevent me from sleeping – aren’t I the picky one LOL), or another type of unit which requires you to have the windows and door open – again, impossible for me due to the noise from traffic, plus the intrusive car exhaust fumes (I have asthma).
    I wonder if anyone out there has found any type of small air conditioning unit that requires neither of the above. I know I am asking for the moon on a stick – it probably isn’t possible for such a unit to exist.
    Any information, advice etc. gratefully accepted.
    Regards
    Josette

Rob
    Participant

Hi Josette
    Well it’s the season for hotting up and things are about to ge a whole lot worse as summer goes on. I’ve looked into putting air con in my lounge and the whole thing became a high tech nightmare. I was told that the ‘exhaust’ was to take away the water from the exchanger and the smaller and more enclosed the room was the easier it was to cool. My own idea was complicated by the fact that my lounge has no door and therefore the amount of air requiring cooling was too great for anything other than a commercial system. I was under the impression that the existing ‘trapped air’ was continually recycled thus hot to warm to cool etc over the continual recycle period. The biproduct is water which was chucked out best way possible. I , like yourself will be fascinated by a solution and am in the market ! I must admit that I am not the only person in my locality who uses the car air con to cool off on a hot day Rather like the guy who used to sit on a sunday morning supposedly reading the paper while he waited for the divorce petition to arrive !
    In my case my simple mind got so bogged down with the technicalities I gave up, but there must be a solution surely. I hope there are some results on this one because as you know I am the minority that can’t stand the heat

Julie Phillipson
    Participant

Dear Josette and Rob, I suppose it could be different in the UK but I don’t imagine it is. An air conditioner fits into an open window and you insulate and block the space around it with some thing like peaces of wood like a 2 by 4 but it shouldn’t take much to do it in a standard window. Usually the unit will have acordeion style sliders on each side that you can push out to fill the sides. The window itself comes down to sit right on top of the unit and is even with the sliders so you have a pretty air tight closure. The unit has a metel lip that fits on the inside of the window and this is what holds it in. The back of the unit is where the hot air and water come out of so you want it outside and slitely tilted down. There is no open window space when it is all done. As far as noise goes you can put matirial like insulation on the out side of the side sliders. In the winter you can take it out very easily. As far as the size of the room is concerned a bedroom size unit would be like a 5,000 BTU unit and a living room you would want 10,000 BTU which is still a pretty small window size unit. There are bigger units but that would be for a whole house or a very big room. I had a 10,000 BTU that I used in my living/dining room area and the hall way and it did a pretty good job. Now I just have a 5,000 BTU for the bedroom. Even if there is no door to close off an area it will still cool the area. Rob if the area is too open and you wanted to close off an area some people do it by hangging a blanket or curtin across the door way with no door! Hope this answers some of your concerns.
    Julie

Rob
    Participant

Well done Julie

Are we allowed to promote manufacturers here? I’ve never come across what you are describing but in principal it sounds just the job. We may have a problem in the way you window fix as we now gave complex regulations aimed at windows thermal and ventilation capability. I assume it would easily fit through a wall in a similar way?
    If not available here I would assume the only problem would be our mains voltage difference which could easily be overcome.
    Is it fair to say that once in a window opening it is fixed? It can’t be taken in and out at a whim because if so our regs would not apply?

Josette
    Participant

Dear Fellow Sweaters LOL.
    I have just received a Scotts of Stow catalogue which has a “Air Cooler” in it. NOT an air conditioning unit, but an Air Cooler. The description does not mention any “exhaust tubing” (another similar product in the same catalogue mentions “exhaust tubing”). I will phone Scotts of Stow and investigate further.
    Will keep you informed.
    Regards
    Josette

Josette
    Participant

I am jinxed !!
    I have just phoned Scotts of Stow only to be told that the Mobile Air Cooler (manufacturer “Airtech”) has been DISCONTINUED. I only received the catalogue TODAY.
    So, not to be deterred I will try to find “Airtech” to see if they still make this item, and if so, how I can get hold of one (and does it need an exhaust tube?)
    Again, will keep you informed.
    Josette

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh! I have been down this path also!!!!

The best solution I could find was to have a hole cut in the window (Upstairs) of my secondary double glazing and do it that way – — I shall keep an eye open here as its a subject close to my heart – –I think the exhaust pipe was 10 metres long

Keep searching folks
    Best
    Alastair 🙂

Rob
    Participant

Hi Alistair

A fellow hot-bod!!. We don’t come out of the woodwork often, but a few on the site know I really suffer with this 24/7 but I have kept it quiet largely because it is a ‘she’ problem and not so common a male one. Ruling hormones out before anyone suggests it because I am “bionic” on that scale (endocrinically controlled …not a brag) I just melt.(I’m digging a hole but you know what I mean) On the principal that anything that makes average person hotter then I sog the same should work in reverse. It has serious reprecussions for me as I dehydrate and can start cramping etc severely if I do not take it on board.. Air con is one I had looked at some years ago, but I have looked again at the idea and remain confused having spent a day googlin for an ideal unit. Without Josies prompting it would have remained at the back of my mind and the real problem when I search the sites is the cost. Not so much on installation but it looks open book on maintenance as well. Josettes original question took this point up so is there a simple cost effective solution? Julie will be joining us soon I expect,and over the pond you are probably the experts on this one so more details?

Josette
    Participant

Dear Sweaty Friends,
    I have emailed the company who, allegedly, make the “Air Cooler” mentioned above. However, they say that they don’t make that item but they have had loads of queries about it. Apparently an Air Cooler (as opposed to an Air Conditioning Unit) is mainly a de-humidifier and doesn’t really provide cool air at all!! From all my research it appears that ALL good Air Conditioning Units require an “exhaust tube” and they cost over £400 which is way outside my price range. I think that the most I can do is to continue to use a “fan”, or maybe get one of those ceiling light fittings that has a fan attached – has anyone tried these? Do they help?
    Or maybe I should just replace my bed with a bath and just lay there in cold water all night (just kidding LOL)
    Kind Regards
    Josette
    P.S. It may be worth people trying Sage capsules (which worked for me for about 3 months) or Black Cohosh (which also worked for about 3 months). I am thinking of going round in a circle and trying the Sage again – anything – HELP!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I haven’t actually tried this, but it might be worth a try. I used to go camping and to keep food cool any decent camping shop will sell you a plastic bottle sort of thing filled with a special liquid, that you drop in to the campsite shop who freeze it in their freezer, and once frozen you stick it in with the cheese, butter etc and it keeps it cool in the tent for several hours. They are quite cheap and it occurs to me that they could be used as a sort of reverse hot water bottle to keep cool in bed. I don’t know if an ordinary hot water bottle would put up with freezing (rubber can go brittle if it gets too cold). So if any of you have been camping in the past and have some it might be worth a try. If you have, and it works, let everyone know.

Julie Phillipson
    Participant

I don’t know what to tell you. Has any one there actually gone to a home applyance store and looked for one? It sounds like what Allester is describing would be for central air conditioning for an entier house. I can’t believe there is no such thing as a simple window airconditioner over there. To bad I can’t get you one here and ship it over. I got mine last summer for $90 U.S. funds and up. I would be interested to hear if someone can go take a shopping trip or have someone else do it for you and look for that. Good luck and stay cool!
    Julie

Josette
    Participant

Dear Dave,
    I know what you mean – there are similar things that you get with a “cold box” for picnics. However, WARNING, always wrap the item in a towel or you could get nasty freezer burns, particularly if you put them between your legs (which is the most popular place for a hot water bottle LOL).
    Unfortunately, although I sweat profusely, it is only my top half (e.g. head, neck and bosom) that sweats badly.
    I may try your suggestion (with a flannel, or small towel), many thanks.
    Josette

Josette
    Participant

Dear Julie,
    WOW, only $90 !!!
    That is the equivalent to £55 U.K. pounds!!
    From all the research I have undertaken – you can’t get a proper portable air conditioning unit (just for one room) for less that about £450, e.g.$800, yes, eight-hundred dollars.
    I presume this is because we so rarely get hot weather (and when we do get it, it is for short periods of time), that it is not possible (due to lack of quantity) for U.K. suppliers to provide these units so cheaply. Unfortunately, I understand that U.S. products don’t work with our U.K. electrical systems.
    Any further advice and information more than welcome.
    Love
    Josette

susanliang
    Participant

Last year they were selling portable air conditioning units in B & Q for around £200. We bought 2 ceiling fans instead and find them very good. Don’t think you can get the window type here although they are common in the US.

Julie Phillipson
    Participant

wow I am surprised at that price! I think there must be a way to put an electrical converter on to the plug that would fit outlets in the UK. May be the best thing to do is get a dehumitifier. That would help allot because even though it is still hot you don’t sweat as much and you do feel better. May be between using a dehumitifyer and a fan would work. You could always try getting a back yard swimming pool!
    Julie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.