Too scared to travel, any travel tips?

Home Forums General Too scared to travel, any travel tips?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    clareiobeario
    Participant

Hi all,
    Does anyone have any travel tips? I have a tethered spinal card with a non-cancerous growth on it which sometimes makes me unable to walk and collapse in pain (when this happens I sound like I’m in labour I’m told). It has become significantly worse over the past couple of months and I had a short hospital stay a couple of weeks ago. I take pregabalin, diclofenac, diazepam (occassionally). I am going to Greece in the next couple of weeks and am terrified that I’m going to have one of these pain attacks in the airport/ on the plane etc. I’ve never had to travel when I’ve been so ill. When I booked the holiday I was so excited and now I’m just filled with dread. Sorry, I don’t usually sound this miserable but I’m pretty fed up right now! Any tips would be gratefully received x

Linda Miles UK
    Participant

Deaqr Claire I started a reply to you bbbbbut mI am afraid I went on too long and have had to save it as a draft email lol if you would like to email me I will send it on to you
    kind regards
    Linda

clareiobeario
    Participant

Thanks Linda for your reply. I’d be grateful for any advice however it comes! Look forward to hearing from you.

Mand
    Participant

Hi Claire,
    I don’t really have any tips, as I am going on my first travelling trip the end of next month, the first one since ending up with nerve pain so I am worried about the whole concept of it. But my only advice is read the two posts lower down about travelling…ie getting your insurance sorted etc. Try to be positive and look forward to the holiday rather than the dread of the airport etc, it will all be worth it. Think you will be fine and cope, then you will. Have a lovely holiday. Amandax

clareiobeario
    Participant

Thanks Amanda. I think going on holiday is a bit stressful for most people and I’ve got a bit bogged down with feeling rubbishy so it’s all feeling like a bit of a mountain at the moment! You’re right though I need to be more positve and focus on the good things. Hope you have a good holiday too xx

Mand
    Participant

Sorry used the wrong spelling of Claire, so apologies Clare with an “e”!
    I’ve been to Crete and it was lovely, so Greece will be lovely too. The warm weather hopefully will make you feel better and the food is fab. I wish you a great trip, take some relaxing music on your headphones to listen too whilst travelling to distract the mind from the stress of the boring airport bit. Good luck Amandax

Rose
    Participant

Take as little as possible and no more than you can carry on your back or where ever you hold on to luggage. I use a thin nylon pacasac which so thin it folds into pouch when not in use. All my toiletries are mini sized (very few anyway) superdrug usefull for some items.and I put them in a zipper plastic bag.Viscose long skirt for no creases. A shirt blouse to double up as a jacket. My mind is always focussed on weight because of my back problems. Have not ventured abroad but will do one day! Hope you have a lovely holiday

Anonymous
    Inactive

VERY IMPORTANT

Whatever else you do – check with the Greek embassy that any medications you plan to take are legal in Greece. A number of pain killers aren’t legal there and you don’t want to spend your holiday in a Greek jail.

Di
    Participant

Try to get your doctor to write a letter that you can take with you which explains exactly what’s wrong and what needs to be done if you have an attack and also a list of your medication. I assume you will be in a wheelchair so just inform the airport in advance that you need assistance and make sure your insurance covers absolutely everything. Many don’t cover pre existing conditions. Tesco and Sainsbury’s are very good. If you are travelling alone, there is a service mentioned in previous posts that will meet you at your car and help you in to the airport. Otherwise you are stuck with your luggage until you get through check in.

bizzygag
    Participant

Just thought I would add my two pennyworth to this topic! I share the sentiments about being frightened of travelling. Since my facet injections I have been having back spasms which strike out of the blue and I was terrified of if happening in the airport or on the plane, then I thought…. hang on… so what! If I stay at home I am in pain, if I go away I am in pain. Cheap air travel is bound to come to an end soon with rising oil prices, so I decided to bite the bullet and go for four days to Florence courtesy of Ryanair cheapie flight. I did have awful back pain after a day’s sight seeing, despite lots of pain breaks. But is was worth it. I took the REMEDI machine with me, had lots of breaks, and planned our day’s activities carefully. This pain lark has taken away so much of what was me already, I don’t want to lose the “traveller” as well. Next time though I will definitely take my walking poles, even though you look a prat in a chic city marching round like Sherpa Tensing!! x x

Anonymous
    Inactive

A quick note to bizzygag – you won’t look a prat using walking poles, this is a “new” exercise regime called Nordic Walking, and was started by cross-country skiers practicing when there was no snow about. It has now become a recognised fitness activity that exercises the arms and the upper body as well as the legs. I Nordic walk everywhere and if anyone stares I just go up to them and tell them that it’s called Nordic Walking and explain the benefits. Most people are quite interested, any several have asked me where they can get a pair of poles. If visiting famous buildings just remember to put the rubber tips on before going indoors as the metal tips do a lot of damage to all floor surfaces, even marble.

bizzygag
    Participant

Cheers for that Dave! At last I am fashionable!! Anyway, I will definitely be taking them with me whenever I travel again. I have got the rubber feet on the poles too, so I wont be damaging historic buildings in my wake!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.