New Choices for the New Year
We have a brand new year, full of possibilities, to look forward to.
When we are in pain or ill we often stop trying new things or taking risks. Our comfort zone shrinks. Our confidence and desire to try new things shrinks with it.
Once we realise this has happened, we need to take a few small and gentle steps to widen our horizons.
Always remember to take baby steps. 'Plan and pace' your activities then your comfort and confidence will grow.
The main message for this New Year is to keep learning and be open to new possibilities and new choices – and just go for them!
Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life.
Seven suggestions on how to grow your comfort and confidence
1. Think of new projects and areas of interest to investigate to replace those you may have lost. Include contact with other people if at all possible.
2. Try to include some physical activities, singing, swimming, stretching, gentle exercise and generally moving more.
3. Instead of saying, "I can't do that", say instead,"I'll give it a go".
4. Never mind if it makes you feel a little anxious at first, this is normal. Let your desire to do what you want to do overcome the anxiety.
5. Recall an achievement you are particularly proud of, and think about how you coped with that. Recall your success next time you're faced with a challenging task. It will help to build your confidence and self esteem.
6. Set yourself some simple goals that are within easy reach so that you can achieve success often and easily. Make some longer term goals to give yourself something to aim for in the future.
7. Take SMALL steps. Big projects are a series of small objectives and goals. Remember that every journey starts with just one step.
Find out more about planning, pacing and goal setting...
From our website
From our Shop
Jan's best selling Pain Relief Book and CD
From our Shop
There's a section on finding and setting goals in our Pacing Workbook
Step 1 of your goals.
Your Goals worksheet
Step 2 of your goals.
Your Goal Achiever worksheet