Wheelchairs – some advice please.

Home Forums General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable) Wheelchairs – some advice please.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lee135
    Participant

My walking has become limited with my back problems and I am finally thinking of getting a wheelchair which my husband is willing to push. I want to get out and about again so need a chair that can go in a car and is really comfortable. I am worried about getting the wrong thing so any advice about what sort of chair to buy would be very welcome. Electric wheelchairs seem so big and heavy but are they actually a better bet than one that has to be pushed?
    Thanks
    Lee

Dave – Kent
    Participant

I have a “Days” lightweight fold-up with quick-release main wheels, and the arm rests and foot rests come off easily as well which makes getting it into and out of the car a lot easier.

I went for solid tyres (which are less comfortable than air-filled tyres on rough ground) because I go out on my own with it and I didn’t fancy getting a puncture and getting stuck.

I would say go for a self-propelled (the big wheels at the back) rather than a transit (four small wheels) because they are easier to get over kerbs, and whilst your husband could still push you, you also have the option of wheeling yourself about.

Inga – Notts.
    Participant

I agree entirely with Dave, I chose to have the lightweight wheelchair with big wheels and whilst I cannot propel myself very well when I am outdoors I find I can propel myself whilst in a shopping mall or supermarket. The electric wheelchairs are very heavy due to the weight of the battery. My wheelchair also dismantles but it would not be fair to expect my son in law to lift my chair into the boot of the car whilst the battery is attached. The battery is still extremely heavy even though the wheelchair can literally be taken to pieces. For the same reason as Dave I chose tyres which do not puncture but some surfaces make the ride very bumpy and uncomfortable. I still think I have made the right decision though. Also remember the width of the seat is very important. I hope you are happy with whatever you choose. Inga.

Di
    Participant

I got mine through my GP for free. I expected a great big clumpy thing but was really surprised that it’s light weight, I was given the choice of quick release wheels or not and of type of cushion, in fact they made one specially for me and they took it back to adjust the seat length. When I had it serviced two years ago and complained that the tyres had gone bumpy where the brake had pressed in, they simply got me a new one. Social services told me their wait for assessment was massive and suggested I ask my GP. The first GP refused saying I needed to keep Mobile but I saw another one and pointed out that I wasn’t getting out because I would go so far then be unable to get home. With a chair I could push t for support then sit in it to get back. The practice nurse had a sheet of instructions for measuring me (she’d never done it before) and I had the chair within 2 weeks. A company comes out to service it every year.

Lee135
    Participant

Thanks for your excellent advice. I don’t think that I will be going over rough ground so I think a lightweight self-propelled version sounds a good bet especially as it will be easier to push and get in and out of the car.
    Thanks for your help,
    Lee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.