Struggling with pain & isolated

Home Forums General Struggling with pain & isolated

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dalhousie 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dalhousie
    Participant

After the worst facet joint flare up I’ve experienced I had RF ablations on my lower lumbar facets last Monday (12th) and really struggling/not coping well with the pain. It takes up to 2 weeks for the nerve to die and any pain relief comes in 2-3 weeks post op. Not sure how successful it’s going to be. I had an SCS in February and had really good pain relief in my lower lumbar but I absentmindedly touched my foot whilst laid on my bed and all hell has let loose since with pain. If the ablations don’t get me back to good pain relief I’ll see about getting my SCS reprogrammed as I still have the original programmes from post op due to having the ablations.

I’d been so careful after the SCS I’m finding it hard to accept I was careless even though it was for a few seconds. Can’t believe I’m in this situation when I waited so many years for it. It really sucks being on your own with high pain levels and trying to cope. I feel so lonely and isolated. I don’t mean to sound so sorry for myself but it helps to write it down and I feel so low and lonely. I really hope I can get back to where I was at 8 weeks post op with better pain relief. I’ve been living on my bed for too long.

Navchic
    Participant

Hi Dalhousie,
    Sorry to hear you are still struggling so much – the period after an ablation is always the worst isn’t it. Are you using anti inflamatories and cool (ice) packs? I always found those helpful after the ablations. I guess you are right not to fiddle with your SCS programmes at the moment as you can’t be sure if it the ablations making things worse? Your wires should be starting to scar in soon – so it might be worth asking to get your wires checked (to put your mind at rest really) After my SCS I had lots of scares when I thought my wires were moved, but thankfully they never have.
    Perhaps you are having a flare up, and after the SCS it is really scary to have a flare up when your wires are scarring in. Also, you are so busy protecting yourself and not moving too much, it must cause problems for our muscles and cause a degree of muscle spasm. to be honest, it took a full year for me to feel somewhat normal after the SCS – and I still use heat and tablets first thing in the morning. Don’t give up on the SCS, hopefully this is just a hicough. Mind yourself and be kind to yourself, and stop beating yourself up about touching your toes!
    Take care T

dalhousie
    Participant

Hi Navchic – we’re in touch on messenger so I’ve sent a msg – R x

Laura
    Participant

Hi Dalhousie,

I can so relate to your post. People without pain just don’t know how we live, it might not be visible but we sure can feel it. I had to laugh today when I met an acquaintance who looked me up and down and had an extra pause on my walking stick as if to query why I was walking badly! I’ve just had a week of the most terrible sciatica in both legs I wondered how on earth it would ever pass but thankfully it’s mostly gone now and I’m sure your period of flare up will be gone soon, take each day as it comes and try not to be hard on yourself for a ‘mistake’… we are all human and far from perfect (well, I’m not anyway!)

dalhousie
    Participant

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your kind words. This flare started 6 April – I have chronic pain syndrome on top of facet degeneration & neuropathic pain so my brain is wired differently for pain. The only way to settle it is with ablations and trying to reprogram my scs. I had RF ablations 3 weeks ago so still settling down and then I’ll get my SCS reprogrammed. It feels like 2 steps forward and 4 steps back but I hope I can get back to the pain relief I had with the SCS before this happened.

Glad yours is settling down.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.