PIP UPDATE & DANIEL BLAKE

Home Forums General PIP UPDATE & DANIEL BLAKE

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mrsH 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

mrsH
    Participant

Hi
    I have just the DWP update on my appeal claim for PIP…and the information on it is a tissue of lies ( and that is being generous).

They have also not listed ME as one of my chronic illnesses when it has very specific neurological and pain symptoms that are particular to this illness. I am usually functioning at below 30% of ‘normal’…and at the moment, I am in flare up so it is more like 15%

My advice to anyone is get the CAB to help you from the beginning, as this is really stressful and you are going to need all the help you can get. I am seriously wondering if the system is just unfair and I will not get any award.

P.s Daniel Blake the Ken Loach DVD is out on 27/02/17

Helen x

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by  mrsH.

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, sorry to hear you didn’t get your award. i know its tough, but put in an appeal straight away. I got a local disability resource centre near me who has helped no end. I found these better than CAB as they are dealing with disability all the time. so that would be my advice to you. they will go through it all with you with advice and help you appeal. Good luck with whatever option you take, and hope you get your PIP award soon although it could take a while as they are not quick to respond but be on their case once a week and p%$s them off. LOL. the system is so unjust and barbaric. but fight on you must. It took me 5 years to be put into the support group of ESA. and I still got to do PIP as I’m still on DLA at present indefinatly but sure I’m going to have to go through it all again when they decide to change me over to PIP. Take Care and fight on Best Wishes . Lee

Di
    Participant

Helen, what you have just got sounds pretty much par for the course. Don’t hesitate to fight but i would say that far better than CAB Is the Benefits and Work website. The information on there is so detailed it’s invaluable and far better than what you get from support agencies. You do have to pay to join but I couldn’t have done without it. Over many years I only got DLA given for 2 years at a time so I had to apply and apply and apply. 5 times I was turned down even on appeal and went to tribunal. Out of those 5 tribunals I failed one- the one where a welfare rights agency “helped” me. For the others I used Benefits and Work and had no problems at all.
    |When I’ve asked for a reconsideration I have sent at least 11 extra pages of information which have then gone on to tribunal when necessary. My PIP claim ( change from DLA to PIP last year) had 3 pages of extra medical notes, numerous scans of documents and consultant reports that my GP kindly printed out for me and a 2 page list of consultants I’d seen right back to 1985. On top of that were 11 pages of detailed cross referenced notes adding explanations to the tiny spaces they give you for answers. In every case I explained what aids I had tried to use and why they didn’t help. They concentrate very heavily on the use of aids. If you can do something with say a kettle tipper, a special knife, a wheelchair, they they will turn you down. You need to detail what you have tried and why they didn’t work. For instance I have a wheelchair which I can no longer use without assistance because the tendons in my shoulder are shredded and I can’t self propel. Although I have a stair lift I can’t use it to get to the bathroom because it’s too slow. I can’t carry a pan which needs two hands because of the damage to my shoulder and so on. Think of absolutely everything that may help in each circumstance and explain why it doesn’t. Explain what would happen to you if you tried to do certain things and how long it would take to recover.

mrsH
    Participant

Hi Lee

thanks for your support and encouragement. I have put in an appeal and this is the response to what I put in the appeal application. We just await a date now.
    I was thinking of your long battle today….and there is no possibility of giving up- I am significantly worse than when I wrote the claim, and ( aside from the much needed money), I need the ‘status’ of disabled so I can get a blue badge etc.

I think it is using scare tactics and I am sure it will work in quite a few cases…but not me!

Cheers, Helen

mrsH
    Participant

Hi Di

thanks for your support and informative reply- I am sure many on here are going through the same process. When we asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration, I sent 14 detailed pages explaining how particular activities affect me, which aids I can/can’t use etc. I already have all the work and benefits info for PIP which I used.

I am particularly angry that they have disregarded recovery time after activities, and also inability to repeat activities as often as needed. One of the definitions of having ME is the delayed onset of recovery time: pain, neurological symptoms, fatigue etc.

I will keep the forum posted. I hope my experiences are at least preparing some others for what they will be up against!

thanks Helen

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, I got a blue badge. it says if your on pip or other certain benefits you automatically be able to get one without a medical. some still need a medical.For which i had non of what they were asking. I just filled in form and had a medical, took some importantant documentation like Esa support group letter and other proof from physio ect. that i have mobility problems. they got me to turn round on the spot, took a short walk, timed. asked a load of questions for which i showed them letters that I took. was about 15-20 minutes in there,came out and the lady said it can take up to 10 days for an answer. got home checked email and it said i was intitled to blue badge. was shocked, 5 days later it came through the post. just fill the form out and try. I proved i had mobility problems thats all they really need to know.I can drive sometimes for short distances other times I’m the passenger when I can get out. Done mine, online form, pick a venue for medical and time to suit you. easy. I was put off for ages about getting one, then one day got really annoyed just because there was no room for me to open car door to get out. if dont try you’ll never know take care and best wishes. Lee

Di
    Participant

Good luck Mrs H. You will find a tribunal munch easier. They are an independent panel who must read all of your submission. YOu sound to have added everything possible and addressed each point they got wrong or omitted.

mrsH
    Participant

Thanks so much Di- the support I’ve received on this forum has been amazing. It is only when you have been through this hell yourself that you can really understand.

I swear that many able-bodied people who support the concept of disability benefits and would assume if you are entitled you will get it, have no idea of the battles we have to go through.

mrsH
    Participant

Lee- forgot to say thanks for the info on blue badge. As time goes on I am really doubting that we will have success…and the blue badge would be a great help.

BTW: are we going to see any of your carving (?) on the pain support FB page?
    Helen

lc
    Participant

Hi, Helen, Sorry gonna have to think about that one as i tried setting a page up for myself but was having problems as my wife has one, and computor didn’t like it as it was same email address and didn’t fancy sharing with my wife but looks like i’m going to have to, then totally forgot about it til you mentioned it so gonna have to see about that. had a lot on my mind just recently and busy. In the middle of carving Professor Yaffle out of Bagpus 70’s childrens program.I’m hoping to sort something out soon. but if you wanted to see some of the stuff i do i could privately email you if you want? best wishes and take care. Lee

mrsH
    Participant

Hi Lee

obviously don’t worry if you are busy, but am happy for Jan to give you my email if you would like to share- I don’t really want to post it on here. Prof Yaffle takes me back- I so wanted to be Emily! Helen

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.