Pain around/under rib

Home Forums General Pain around/under rib

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Deb 2 hours, 9 minutes ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Deb
    Participant

I have prolapsed discs at C5/6 and L5/S1. For more years thann I can remember I have also had alot of pain in my upper back and left side ribs ( my prolapses are all left sided). I can get chest pain which is stabbing and also pain into boob and my ribs are always sore to lay on on that side. In the past months this had been getting worse together with worsening neck symptoms ) had mri waiting for neurosurgeon appt) and a few weeks ago developed pain below/under left rib worse nearer to centre. I wake up at 4am every morning with terrible pain going through to my back on left side.
    I am seeing GP today because I feel I need to have other possible conditions ruled out but in the past I have had endless medical tests because of pain in places far removed from the discs and all the tests have been negative for anything else!
    Just wondered if anyone else got pain under ribs?

Deb
    Participant

Saw my Gp who said I was right to go in as it would be wrong to assume this is spine related without checking. I have to have pancreas.liver and full blood count tests done and then maybe an abdominal ultrasound.
    So while it probably is from my spine at least she didn’t fob me off and is taking it seriously and wanting to exlude other reasons.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Deb,

I get pain in my ribs which is referred pain from my spine. It’s hard to live with, isn’t it.

I’m so pleased that your gp didn’t fob you off, but took your pain seriously.

I hope that all the tests and scans go well. It’s just as well to see if it’s spine-related or not. Keep us posted.

Annie x

Di
    Participant

JUst two weeks ago I saw my GP for exactly the same; pain just on one side of my ribs. He sent me for an x ray the very next day as he heard noises in my lung that he didn’t like and also did a whole raft of blood tests. I go back next week for the results. Never assume something new is caused by an existing problem.

Deb
    Participant

Well I certainly had a whole raft of blood tests. full blood count/diabetes/ferritin/esr/crp/amylase/liver and kidneys.
    All normal except my esr which is always above normal.
    The pain is below my rib near the centre of body and can be like wasp stings. My upper back ( ribs to under shoulder blades) are very stiff and painful when I move and I have in the past had stabbing pain in the middle under ribs, often I would turn over in bed and be attacked and it would last a few days then get better????
    I will see Dr again next week to see where to go as so many organs in this area.

crazyfan
    Participant

Hi deb, I am new to this website and I am not sure if there is a private message function. However, I saw on your other posts that you had undergone brain mri before so I thought perhaps I could ask you more about it. May I know when was your first brain mri and how long did it take? Thanks in advance 🙂

Deb
    Participant

Hi Crazyfan. I have had a few brain mri’s over the years and they have been over with in approx 20-30 minutes inside the machine. Your head is kept very still in a cradle type device ( too long to try and describe it) so you cannot move your head at all.
    If you are claustrophobic you can ask your GP for some diazepam to take before but you do need to be able to walk and talk okay or they won’t do the scan!

Deb
    Participant

Re painful ribs, went back to GP today and have to say she is extremely thorough! I have to have chest x ray to rule out anything lung wise. I am having abdominal ultrasound to check pancreas and liver and also gastroscopy to check my hiatus hernia and make sure \i don’t have any ulcers. As my bloods were all perfectly fine neither the ultrasound or gastroscopy will be done under very urgent so expect the u/s in 3-4 weeks but no idea how long for the camera job.
    She thinks my spinal problems are part of the problem but that there could be something else going on as well which is what she wants to check on. Its’ good that she is being so thorough but can’t say I am looking forward to the gastroscopy! Sedation here I come.

Deb
    Participant

So far I have had chest x ray and had two mri scans. One of my abdomen to cover pancreas liver etc etc and a second one of my thoracic spine to check on my neurofibroma that was spotted 8 years ago attached to my thoracic spine. I have the gastroscopy next week ( joy of joys) and hope to have scan results at end of next week as well.

mrsH
    Participant

Hi Deb- I just wanted to reassure you re Gatroscopy. I was really worried but with sedation it was fine- I just remember opening my eyes on the trolley and wondering when it was going to start…. and realizing it was over!

• This reply was modified 10 hours, 7 minutes ago by  mrsH.

Deb
    Participant

Thanks Mrs H. the last two I have had ( last one 8 years ago) I asked for max sedation and like you knew nothing about it. I struggle more with the bp taking and putting the canula in to administer the sedation!! Totally phobic with bp machines and needles.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.