Nerve Pain Medication.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Hope
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone is suffering with nerve pain and if any medication
    helps the pain.

Hope.

anniekat
    Participant

I think that Gabapentin or Pregabalin can be useful for nerve pain. Have you asked your gp about what would help you?

Annie x

Rose
    Participant

Hi Hope,
    I’m still suffering with nerve pain, and trigger point therapy caused more problems and pain.
    Amitriptyline at night could be an option, providing you take it some hours before retiring. But I find at the moment the 10 mg too high if one doesn’t want to be too tired and falling asleep during the next day. I gather there is a 6 mg dose which I will ask for next time I go to the surgery.
    Also looking at a certain type of tea. That may or may not help. Probably will not help. But I think I will give it a try.

Hope
    Participant

Hi Annie
    I can’t cope with the side effects of Gabapentin or Pregablin.

Hope x

Hope
    Participant

Hi Rose
    Trgger point massage made me have more pain too, I also had large bruising
    where it was done.

Ive tried Amitriptyline in the past, can’t tolerate it at all, it made me very ill.
    Could you say what the tea is you might try ?

Hope x

rdolly
    Participant

I also have nerve pain, permanent sciatica being part of it, I have tried all the meds available but sadly nothing works, I use a small heat blanket bought from my local catalogue store and that gives me some comfort, I also do chair based yoga and that really makes a difference, it may not last but the techniques can be used at home, there are some very good demo’s online explaining it so maybe worth a try, hope you find a way of coping x

Rose
    Participant

not sure That I can say on here Hope. They are legal but to be on the safe side I’ll leave my weekly visit email addy which is under another name.of mine
    Shamrock161@hotmail.com

Some Research is needed before trying them out. But they already come with the correct low amount of herb. it is Not the C one.
    I’m still thinking about it. Probably being more worried about disappointment at them not helping !
    I remember you saying you got the bruising with the trigger point therapy. . Didn’t realise you also had more pain with it too. I should have stopped sooner. Still got extra nerve pains and other odd symptoms after this “therapy”.

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

For herbs to be really effective, you need the correct balance and combination of herbs. And do see a professional Medical Herbalist from the national organisation: http://www.nimh.org.uk/

The site below gives reasonably good information specific for nerve pain:
    http://omtimes.com/2012/11/21-ways-to-heal-nerve-pain-naturally/2/

Rose
    Participant

Thank you Jan. lots of useful info provided by you again.

Rose
    Participant

I’ve decided for now, to forget the herbal route and go for Homeopathic . I did have some subtle help taking homeopathic pills over a year ago when one of my knees was giving me a lot of pain. So having remembered about this, I’m going to do some more reading up , ( got a large book on the subject) and / or just take the pills I already have Bad knee pain in other knee now as well as the other areas. In body. I know they won’t do me any harm having tried them before. The ones that made a subtle difference before for the knee were rhus tox and ruta grav both at 6c strength

Di
    Participant

I’ve used homeopathy on both myself and my dogs with good results however please do contact a competent experienced homeopath rather than just going off books. Homeopathy works by balancing the whole body, not just single conditions and what works for one condition may upset something else. A good homeopath will need a full history. Have you tired the company, Helios? They have excellent qualified people to give advice.

Rose
    Participant

more than going by books. Have seen Homeopathic practitioner in the past
    And thanx Di for the tip about Helios. Will check it out.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Rose.
    ian frangleton
    Participant

Hi all. I’ve suffered from “Phantom Limb pain” for almost 33 years now, and tried all sorts of different treatments from “controlled” prescription meds Gabapentin, Tylex, Amitriptyline, now I using Oxycodone along with other meds. I’ve even tried alternative therapies, from acupunture to meditation.

The only thing I’ve found that completely relieves the pain is “Cannabis”. Even my GP has asked me if I’ve tried it, when I said that I have he just replied “I’m not advising you to use Cannabis, that would be illegal, but if it works for you, then ……”.

What I’m trying to say is, “if you find something that gives you relief from pain, then use it”. I’m now starting to look to my Pain Management Clinic to find out if I can be placed on some sort of “Cannabis extract” for pain relief. Fingers Crossed.

geoffh
    Participant

I found the side effects of Pregab much easier to deal with than Gabapentin… The latter ruined a holiday when I foolishly went onto Gabapentin just before I went away.. I spent most afternoons in bed, feeling awful.

paula121s
    Participant

Hi Hope,

I have suffered from nerve pain since 2008. I have been down the route of the pregabalin, gabapentin and oxynorm. The gabapentin did nothing and the other two I could not cope with the side effects, one particularly nasty one was I lost my sight for a while! I have been on amitryptaline for years and it is now being reduced as I don’t actually think it does help. I was on 150mg, and I was still struggling to sleep with the pain.

Have you asked about nerve root injections? They may help, they are done with a ct scanner to find the nerve root. This can sometimes help. Also acupuncture and reflexology may help or at least ease the symptoms if only temporarily.

In the evening I have found a really nice herbal tea called sleep easy by Clipper, I’m not sure it helps with sleep but it tastes nice and is certainly relaxing.

I hope you get some respite soon.

Paula

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by paula121s.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.