mindfulness to help with pain

Home Forums General mindfulness to help with pain

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  AnnieD 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

lc
    Participant

Hi All, Has anyone done or use mindfulness tecnics to reduce or help themselves with pain and depression and does it help them. As I have been going to CBT with a psycho therapist and he seems to be stuck with me as he has never came across a case quite like mine and has about 4 options and is unsure on what way is best for me and mentioned mindfulness.Just wondering if anyone uses this and it helps. As I have never done this.

Lisa j
    Participant

Hi

I have been using a form of mindfulness for a long time now and I can really recommend it! Mindfulness is all about concentrating the mind repeatedly on the present moment in time. I find concentrating on my breathing the best way.
    To try it sit comfortably with your eyes closed. Try to concentrate on only the sensation of breathing in and out. Don’t force your breathing, just let yourself breathe naturally. If ur mind wanders bring it back to feeling the air going in through your nose and out again. Notice your chest expanding and deflating with each breathe. Feel the air filling and leaving your lungs. Do this for a few minutes whenever you can and when pain is getting bad. Don’t concentrate on the pain or how it makes you feel. Just concentrate on your breathe. Hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on?
    Lisa

lc
    Participant

Hi Lisa, Thank you for your input I do use the breathing as a relaxation as a start then go into visualisation. Is this part of mindfulness and relaxation or is there a lot more to it than just that. Thank you for your help. Best Wishes
    Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Ic
    I use guided meditations by John Kabat-Zinn, who was one of the first people to use meditation to help chronic pain patients. There are some good ones on Youtube:

This is a 45 min bodyscan meditation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gZgnCy5ew

This has the lovely sounds of waves going in and out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=422n7tzAxEI

These are longer than the usual 20 meds but as they are guided I do not really find that a problem.

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, Thank you very much best regards Lee

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, Thank you I get it now. Lisa,thanks to Helen posting me the you tube clips I understand fully what you were saying thank you to you both. Much appreciated Best Wishes to you both. Lee

Adam1984
    Participant

I find mindfulness/relaxation exercises helpful to unwind in the evening and to help distract my pain. Wouldnt say it helps with the pain, but more cope with the pain.

AnnieD
    Participant

I find the 5 min focus on the breath is really helpful – like the attached, as I can struggle with more technical ones when my brains feeling frazzled and can’t think straight due to the pain levels – this one does help calm me down – altho it doesn’t help with my pain levels, yep agree with Adam1984 it does help you cope more….

A 5-Minute Breathing Meditation To Cultivate Mindfulness

Definitely give it a whirl and let us know how you get on! Take care Lee!!

lc
    Participant

Hi Adam, AnnieD, Thankyou to you both and thanks for the clip I will try it out when I,m on my own and update you your right the ones i do are more complicated and I find it hard to concentrate

lc
    Participant

Hi All, been doing the breathing 2-3 times a day and when stressed out and does help bring a calmer me and been practicing what my CBT therapist has said my problem is because I’m in pain all the time and its keeping me in a depressed state, my mind is at half anger most of the time so when somebody says the wrong thing to me or silly little things. I instantantly fly off the handle.so need to keep this under control my therapist said try mindfulness and he signed me up for a coarse to start in january. my conclusion is i know I cant stop the pain but if I can get out of the depressed state and calm myself down and focus more then the rest will fall into place so think mindfullness will help to deal with pain/depression. If I could live with the tebeten monks with my art work for about 5 years that should do the trick HA HA. took pills for depression for about 2 years then went back to drs and said i want to stop these i need help not pills although they got me over the worse of it. haven’t taken anything for 18 months now.anyway thank you All for your input much appreciated. Take Care and Best Wishes. Lee

AnnieD
    Participant

Oh wow Lee – let us know how you get on with this mindfulness course – I’d be interested to hear how it went, and how it works out for you, as I can’t ever get past the breath one when my brain’s frazzled. You’ve definitely got the right attitude – and you can achieve anything you put your mind to! You’re doing brilliantly whatever you may think! I’ve found this site an absolute godsend – as it helps give me inspiration….take care you AnnieD xx

lc
    Participant

Hi Annie yes i’ll let you know how it goes but don’t start till i think 2nd or 3rd week into new year. I am strong minded and very resiliant which has helped me alot i think your are right it’s difficult to concentrate when your brains frazzled and pain levels are high but tomorrows another day hope its a better one for us all Take care stay strong and best wishes. Lee

lc
    Participant

Hi Annie forgot to say this site has also helped me in more ways than i can say its opened up a lot for me and just to know that there are others out there that are in the same boat or similar as yourself. it gives you hope and inspiration Take care you. Lee

AnnieD
    Participant

Lee – all the best and yes being able to speak to others who understand what you’re going through is fantastic and such a lifesaver!! take care & best wishes and all the best with this course – looking forward to your update in the New Year!! As I might consider this…. Stay mindful! AnnieD xx

lc
    Participant

Hi Annie,I know That mindfulness is a way of life so Im already practicing or trying to anyway, so i can get a bit of heads up before I start as long as it helps me cope with the pain and gets me out of the depressed cycle and to focus more and not keep flying off the handle at stupid little things then thats a big change for me any more i can get out of it is a bonus.the more you practice the easier and better you become. take care and best wishes .Lee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.