Long haul flight in less than 2 weeks-should I cancel?

Home Forums General Long haul flight in less than 2 weeks-should I cancel?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Di 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

linda p
    Participant

Morning everyone,
    Hope you are all getting some relief from your pain. I havent posted on here for a long time, but I desperately need some advice…hope you can help.
    I booked a flight and accommodation for my husband and I last May to South Africa..a holiday of a life time.
    I have fibromyalgia and a back problem, but i was managing really well. However, since October things have changed and I am really struggling with mobility… all walking is painful. At the moment I have sciatica and am waiting to have an MRI.I am now so worried about a 12 hour flight and how i will cope, also I dont know whether we should cancel,will we lose all our money etc
    I know you cant decide for me, but I’m hoping someone may have been in a similar position re cancelling/coping etc.
    Thank you for reading.

LIN
    Participant

Really think long and hard as unless insurance cover knows all your illnesses they will not reimburse you. I do feel for you You try to do something and this happens. I hope you get some positive help

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Hi Linda

What a lovely opportunity! The good news is there’s time yet to recover from your setback. Worry over the holiday is stressful so it would be a good idea to check out your options thoroughly before you make your final decision.

Go through your insurance policy, including the small print, very carefully, as pre-existing conditions are not always covered. Take advice from the travel agent too and you could also ask the local CAB to check your policy with you. Once you find what the policy says, that may well make your decision for you.

If you do travel, you could ask your doctor for a muscle relaxing pill or other pain relief medication to take on the journey. See if you can get an aisle seat so you can get up and move about freely and often. Take anything at all that will help you, like an inflatable neck support cushion, a shawl or blanket to help you feel cosy and relaxed, some really interesting reading material or puzzles to distract you on the flight.

On arrival, maybe you could hole up in the hotel for a few days to recover from the journey.

Good luck, I hope you can have your holiday, it’s beautiful in South Africa in May with an ideal temperature in which to relax.

Jan at PainSupport

linda p
    Participant

Thank you Lin…. I had a bad night last night and things seemed to be spiralling out of control…All my coping strategies went out of the window.
    I’m seeing my GP on Tuesday so will air my concerns to him.

linda p
    Participant

Thank you Jan, I’ve Just read your post….
    We booked everything separately, so we are looking at the small print.
    Also, I have bought myself a trtl pillow…
    Looking at a tens machine too. Hopefully my visit to the doctor on Tuesday will help with regard to meds.
    Am feeling a bit more reassured already.

Laura
    Participant

Hi Linda,

I can understand your concerns but if you have some coping strategies ready (as already mentioned) you’ll manage it.

You can also call the airline and tell them your needs before you travel, buggy to the gate etc. plus when you board the plane speak to the cabin crew and they’ll do all they can to help you out. If you know what will help you during the flight (like blanket/pillow) speak up, most people are happy to help.

Take care whatever you decide.

linda p
    Participant

Thank you Laura, I really appreciate your input….Yes I was thinking of contacting the airline and requesting some help… The fact it’s an overnight flight is better really , because if I can’t sleep, I should be able to walk around more freely as most people will be asleep!!!! Lucky them,..

Di
    Participant

Check your insurance with a fine tooth comb and talk to them. Make certain you have told them absolutely everything- don’t miss anything out even something minorthat you think is irrelevant. If you use the EMIS system with your GP you can print off a list of absolutely everything you have seenthem for- ever. Ifnot, ask your GP for a list and make sure the insurers know. Do youhave a wheelchair? If not how about hiring one although you’d need to get it insured; airlines have been known to “bend” things. Phone the airline and ask if they can help. They usually give second row seats to people with mobility problems. Move around as much as you can during the flight. If, when you check in you just happen to comment about how worried you are about the amount of pain it will cause you never know you just migt get offered an upgrade but don’t ask for one; just hint as strongly as ou can; you know “Oh it’s such a shame we couldn’t afford business class then I could have stretched out or moved around. I’m absolutely dreading the pain. Isthere any way the stewards can help me move around ortell me when it’s safe to do so? ” Hint hint hint! But in any case arrange assistance before boarding and after. If you can’t manage the steps they will use a hydraulic lift for you and put you in one of their narrow wheelchairs down to the ground.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Di.

linda p
    Participant

Morning Di, thank you for all your advice…. Really helpful..
    Seeing my GP later this afternoon… want to discuss holiday and if there are any other options for pain relief… I was wondering about pain patches…..Don’t have any experience of those…
    Will feedback later after my visit…

linda p
    Participant

Hello everyone… Hope you are all keeping warm and cosy during this cold spell.
    Thought I would update you on my situation as it may help others…
    I saw the GP and he has prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain, early days yet, but seems positive in its effects..He also stressed the importance of declaring pre existing conditions, so we have sorted that out too.
    I have also booked wheelchair assistance at the airport…It was so easy and the lady was so kind and informative…
    We are in row 30 and she said it’s near an exit so I can stretch and stand there without disturbing others..And to walk freely round the plane when I need to.
    I have also got a contact number for wheelchair rental in Cape Town if I think I need it.
    So overall I’m feeling more positive.
    Thank you all again for your support…You rallied round just when I needed it. X

Laura
    Participant

I’m so pleased, Linda, you seem to have got a few things sorted which is great news, sounds like you’re going to have a fabulous holiday!

Di
    Participant

That’s great. Another idea is to get a note from your GP detailing all your medications just in case any goes missing or you need any while you are there. It will also cover you at customs in case anything you take is restricted there. I’ve never been asked for proof even though I take a controlled drug but I’d rather have it with me than be accused of drug smuggling! Mine is also a liquid which could have caused problems carrying it in hand luggage. I didn’t dare put it in my hold luggage in case it went missing.
    Have a wonderful time.

linda p
    Participant

Thanks Laura and Di…. I remembered something else..GP told me to check medications I am taking with me, with the South African Embassy, online…As some are banned.. I’m fine.
    Been waiting for Mri appointment, and of course it is when I’m away….
    Will feedback after my holiday..Take care everyone…

Di
    Participant

Have a wonderful time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.