Difficulty obtaining medication

Home Forums General Difficulty obtaining medication

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Christine 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Christine
    Participant

My local pharmacy has been having problems getting hold of Lidocaine 5% ointment, as have several other pharmacies in the area. One of the online pharmacies (where you post your prescription) has said that they have no stock either.

I use the stuff for mouth pain, and it’s the only thing that gives limited, temporary relief from this intense pain; and I feel quite panicky at the thought that it is possibly unobtainable.

The online pharmacy advised contacting the manufacturer. Does anyone have any advice, other than trying to contact all the pharmacies in the country??

Christine

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Hi Christine
    I had a similar problem once with a different prescription. I did contact the manufacturers, they were most helpful. That might be your quickest way forwards.
    Jan at PainSupport

Christine
    Participant

Thanks, Jan, it sounds like the best thing to do.

Christine

Di
    Participant

I’ve had the same problems with other things. I couldn’t get my ointment for dry eyes for 6 months then I couldn’t get the particular brand of diuretics I have to have because of allergies.After phoning ever single pharmacy in the area, I too contacted the manufacturer in both cases and they were really helpful. When they banned adcortyl in orabase ( for mouth ulcers) in this country I ended up getting a friend in Australia to send me some. It’s made here and still allowed in Oz just not here. Have you tried googling “lidocaine not available” to see if others have posted abut it on forums? Someone may have suggested an alternative.

Christine
    Participant

I haven’t found anything online, Di, but am waiting to hear from the manufacturer. It’s very stressful.

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Christine, I found the manufacturer’s phone number and rang them. Maybe try that approach, it might be faster.
    Jan at PainSupport

Christine
    Participant

Yes,that might be a better way, come to think of it.

I’ve found a local pharmacy that has two tubes (!), and they suggested I brought my next prescription request forward a few days, which I’ve done. I have got a bit left in the current tube, so I’ve got a bit more time.
    This seems a very odd situation.

Di
    Participant

There could be all sorts of reasons. My eye ointment disappeared for 6 months because someone had found a tiny bit of metal that had come off the edge of the tube. They had to withdraw every tube and redesign the top. The reason my diuretic wasn’t available was because one distributor had stopped stocking it in favour of a cheaper variety. It just happened to be the distributor most pharmacies use. The only ones who can still get it are the small independent pharmacies who can use any distributor they like. The big ones are tied to specific suppliers.
    My mouth ulcer ointment went because of EU regulations banning one ingredient.
    My GP agreed to give me an extra prescription so I am now one month in advance just in case there are any more problems.

Christine
    Participant

The company says that it’s currently out of stock, but they’re hoping to have it back in again in the middle of next month. That explains what’s been happening.

Christine

Di
    Participant

Your only answer then is to search on line pharmacies and all your local ones to see who has any still in stock. You will stand more chance with the bigger companies who keep higher levels of stock.

Christine
    Participant

I’ve got one tube, and one local pharmacy still has one tube (they say it isn’t often dispensed), so I’ve got to hope that the company is right about the date.
    But I will carry on searching, just in case.

Christine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.