Difficulty in reducing Nortriptyline

Home Forums General Difficulty in reducing Nortriptyline

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Di 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Christine
    Participant

I’ve been taking 50mg of this for a little over two years. The consultant has told me to lower the dose to 20mg, or preferably to stop altogether. It has done next to nothing for the pain, but the hospital has discharged me, as according to them I am a lot better!!

I’ve been taking 40mg for several months, but getting down to 30mg is a big problem, as I’m having withdrawal symptoms in the form of headaches, insomnia, and feelings of aggression – which isn’t me at all. Insomnia is a big problem anyway because of my husband’s snoring. The one thing these tablets did is to help with sleep.

Does anyone have any advice? It isn’t even a high dose.

lc
    Participant

Hi Christine, sorry your not having a good time. Sorry I have not had experience with this drug but had same problems when I was on citalopram a few years ago now. which they only came in 10mg doses. personally i tend to ride it out so i could come off of it, but drop 10mg at a time which you are doing. these bad effects i got only lasted about a week. I think nearer 2 weeks at max. then settled down on the lower dose, I was advised if I really couldn’t tolerate the drop. to do 30mg one day then 40mg next day alternatively for a few weeks then go 30mg every day. I would suggest you talk to your Dr. to see if you can do this. til you come off completely.once I was down to 20mg I dropped 10mg with no problems. I came off of them pretty quick without to much of a problem.I was on them 2 year before i decided i didn’t want to be on them. I have a freind who is on the same drug i was, for about 7 years and he is having same problems. Talk to Dr if you can alternate the dose every day for a few weeks between 40-30 then drop to 30. see if that helps. take care and best wishes. hope you feel better soon, Lee

Christine
    Participant

That’s a good idea, thanks. I will try it.
    Christine

lc
    Participant

Hi Christine, I used to have the same problems with my wife snoring till she lost some weight then it stopped, weird one i know. As i am severely deaf with speech and never go to bed with hearing aids in. she still kept me awake just shows how loud she was LOL. not funny when lack of sleep gets to you.makes you really irritable as well as being in pain. I found that i used to go to bed with hearing aids in and my earphones and listen to music. quite often woke up in morning with the earphones still on. or get get some earplugs.we used to have some arguments as i used to keep nudging her to roll off her back. I know there are some devices out there to help with snoring but she never tried any to see if they worked. luckily when she lost some weight she doesn’t do it anymore. Any way hope you can get to come off them. just take it slowly so your body has time to adjust. as sometimes it is to much of a drop to quick for your body to realise whats going on which causes you problems.I’m sure you will manage to stop completely even if it takes you till the end of year by then i would have thought you would be off them by then. Best wishes, take care, Lee

Christine
    Participant

Thank you. It’s a bit worrying that you can become dependent on anything, but your brain adapts to it, I think.

With snoring, it’s not only the noise, but the vibrations that you feel! I still haven’t found any ear plugs that work well.

Christine

lc
    Participant

Hi Christine, Some people have no problems with certain drugs, but some like me are a bit sensitive to certain ones and just need a bit more care when coming off of them.all to do with chemical changes in your brain. just take it all a bit careful when reducing slowly over a few weeks. like 40-30 alternative for 1 month then 30 for 1 month then go 20-30 for a month then 20 ect. then at the end 10-0 alternative for a month then stop. that should give your body chance to adapt.and shouldn’t have too much trouble. Sorry may be you need to ask your husband about his snoring and tell him its causing you more grief than you already have. get him to see someone about it,like a Gp see if they can help him. thats all i can suggest if its bothering you that much.
    Sorry if that sounded rude or offended you NO intention to. stay in touch on your progress with coming off the meds. Take care and Best Wishes . Lee

Christine
    Participant

No offence taken! It’s been a problem for years (decades), but of course it isn’t a problem for him, so it’s awkward.

Christine

lc
    Participant

Hi Christine, It is awkward i was just straight with my wife telling her that the pain kept me awake and had enough of it and this snoring didn’t help and that is why i was so agitated and stroppy the next day. lack of sleep which isn’t good long term. once she sorted it which for her was just losing a bit of weight and i started amitriptyline. for nerve pain and arthritis which has stopped me legs jumping about and i sleep for england, we now both get a good nights sleep and i’m not so grumpy and irritable good all round result. just be straight and open on how you feel. best wishes, take care , Lee

Di
    Participant

If the snoring is that bad- (my husband’s was) then he shouldl get checked for sleep apnoea. As soon as I told his doctor hat he’d do an enormous snore then suddenly stop then start again, alarm bells rang and he was sent immediately to a sleep clinic. He was actually stopping breathing then starting again with a gigantic snore. Sleep apnoea is very dangerous and can lead to stroked and heart attacks. The first thing they will advise is to lose weight round the neck, then snoring devices then a C Pap machine which disturbed me as much as the snoring. Then as a last resort, surgery. We ended up in separate rooms or i think I’d have killed him.

Christine
    Participant

I had wondered whether it was sleep apnoea, but it isn’t quite like what you describe, Di, at least I don’t think so. I’m not sure, though. It would be worth seeing the GP to rule it out.
    I think he’s more or less always had trouble breathing through his nose.
    We haven’t got a spare room, unfortunately.

Di
    Participant

Sleep apnoea does vary. If you have a smart phone you can get an app that monitors your sleep and tells you your oxygen levels etc.
    Seriously broken sleep because of sleep apnoea would show up. It’s caused by a large soft soft palpate and made worse by any fat around he neck as is ordinary snoring. The only way to reduce it is to lose weight. We tried everything, nose clips, tennis ball on back of PJs, a mouth guard, ear plugs, you name it. The C Pap machine was so noisy it kept me awake and the mask was so sweaty he’d just pull it off. IN he end it all came down to weight.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.