CBT – what's involved and does it help?

Home Forums General CBT – what's involved and does it help?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Astra 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

anniekat
    Participant

Hi All,

There was an interesting feature about CBT on Woman’s Hour yesterday morning at about 10.20am. Definitely worth listening to.

I do hope that everybody who does take up the offer of CBT benefits from it.

Annie x

Astra
    Participant

Thanks Annie

Not something I normally listen to, but I’ll see if it’s available on one of the catch up services.

lc
    Participant

Hi Astra , just keep an open mind to any of their suggestions and give it all a go. you won’t know till you’ve tried. don’t go beating yourself up over something if it doesn’t work or suit you. just let the therapist know. Don’t be to hard on yourself and treat yourself now and again. be nice to yourself, you deserve it. Let us all know how you get on. Take Care and Best Wishes. Lee

Astra
    Participant

Thanks Lee, I’ll do my best!

I really appreciate all your kind comments.

Di
    Participant

I wish I could use public transport. We have one bus every half hour but if someone’s using the wheelchair space with a pushchair, they won’t let my mobility scooter on. Anyway have you tried turning a scooter round on a bus? The train station one way has 26 steps to one platform and the other way, such a steep ramp, even my scooter won’t go up it an din any case, the train company doesn’t allow scooters unless you can take them apart and carry them on and you can’t book a seat.. I can’t use a wheelchair now because my shoulders are damaged. When I had to go to LOndon, my son had to take a day off work to push my wheelchair and I had to pay two fares all because Northern Rail don’t allow scooters.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Di.

Astra
    Participant

Oh Di, That must be incredibly frustrating. Just wondering at the logic of the moron who decided you can only take a scooter on the train if you can take it apart & carry it – if you could do that, you wouldn’t need the scooter would you? In some ways, it was better when there was always a goods carriage – OK not pretty surroundings, but at least there was space. I thought DDA rules required public services to ensure access for those less mobile.

Did you see the recent case of the wheelchair user who took a bus company to court, because he couldn’t get on the bus as a woman with a pushchair refused to move. I don’t know why they don’t go back to the rule that pushchairs had to be folded. Many’s the time I juggled purse/handbag/baby & pushchair getting on a bus – that was a long time ago though (my son is 31).

It’s really frustrating when you have to rely on other people (however willing & helpful they may be). Sometimes you just want to be able to something for yourself!

Astra
    Participant

Hi everyone
    Just thought I’d update this – I had a telephone assessment on Friday. The therapist I spoke to was lovely, and she believes I would definitely benefit from CBT, so I’m now waiting for the appointment (likely to be 8-9 weeks) – I’ll get 8 sessions apparently.

I still have no idea what to expect – I’ve tried researching CBT (I’m a “be prepared” kind of girl!), but everything I can find just talks about teaching you “coping strategies” or giving you “tools” or “skills”, but it’s all very non-specific about what these are, or how they’re achieved – I guess because it’s such an individual thing, it will be different for everyone.

So I suppose I’ll just have to wait and see – patience is not one of my virtues 😀

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Astra,

I hope you benefit from CBT. Do tell us how you get on, I’m sure it would help anybody else who’s thought about going down this road to help with their chronic pain.

Good luck!

Annie x

Di
    Participant

Crikey that’s a long wait. I’ve had CBT twice now ; had to wait but not that long. The first girl I saw was very young and I didn’t feel comfortable with her and she admitted that she had o experience of chronic pain so I got transferred to someone more senior. Don’t be afraid to ask for someone else if it feels awkward. The second lady was really good and I got her the second time too. Unfortunately ours don’t work with a pain clinic so don’t have specific knowledge of chronic pain but they can help the way you deal with it . For instance I’d started makng excuses to NOT go out because i knew what an extreme effort it would be and was feeling more and more isolated. My pain clinic does do CBT but it’s hours away, the journey is awful and they couldn’t see me on an afternoon when I could reasonably get there. I’m sure they would have been better. I’m about to ask my GP to refer me again because I’ve slipped back again – always in winter.

Astra
    Participant

I know what you mean Di. Winter is when I seem to withdraw more.

Everything is a long wait in this area. I had to wait 5 months for the first appointment at the pain clinic. I’m hoping I’ll see the therapist I spoke to on the phone. She was really nice and seemed to get what I was saying. They don’t work directly with the pain clinic (as far as I know), but she said they had a specific treatment plan for chronic pain, so I’m hopeful.

It’s helpful to know that other sufferers have found CBT useful, especially since the latest drug didn’t do anything. My next pain clinic appointment isn’t until April 🙁

lc
    Participant

Hi Astra, 8-9 weeks, blimey thats a wait thought mine was a wait at 4-5 weeks.Yes I think cbt is a very individual thing but it sounds to me as you would benefit, its not magic you have to work at it. the more you put in the more you will get out and like i said before keep an open mind to it. might find some of their suggestions work for you it is about changing the way you react and think about things, gets you to look at it from a different view and perspective. at moment I’m in the middle of mindfulness to which i have found some parts quite difficult to feel and bring up but with the help of the therapist I’m understanding it all now and myself a lot better, so this to is working for me just got to keep practicing and bring it into my every day life as best i can. Good Luck when you start and hope CBT helps you if you get the chance like i did to follow through with mindfulness I would say give that a go as well.Hope your keeping Pain to a minimum.tomorrows another day hope its a better one. Take Care and Best Wishes. Lee

Di
    Participant

And that is just what CBT does. It makes you look at how you are coping 9 or not) and helps you to give your self that kick.

Astra
    Participant

I definitely need that kick Di! I find it really hard to get motivated to do anything. Especially when it’s cold & dark, it just seems like too much effort.

Lee thanks for your kind words. I did read a mindfulness book recommended by my GP but I found it all a bit silly to be honest. Maybe it was just that particular book, or maybe it’s just me. I seriously couldn’t meditate on a raisin! (one of the described meditation exercises). I kept expecting it to mention crystals or incense 😀 Probably just reading a book on it isn’t all that helpful without a practitioner to guide you.

I guess it’s a question of finding what works for you. At this point I’ll try anything!

I’ll let you know how the CBT goes. Hopefully relating my experience here might help others considering going down that road.

lc
    Participant

Hi Astra, LOL the raisin, yes I found that weird thats just to get your mind focused to begin with, when you start week 4,5,6 it gets quite intense and in touch with yourself and feelings good, bad and neutral and how you react to them and how they make you feel with your reactions.and how you deal and cope with them. at first couple of sessions I thought this is a joke and nearly left, but stuck it out. but then it all started to make sense. you need a teacher really to help you make sense of it all and to help you personally about yourself and personal problems you have, and like you say guide you. there’s a lot more to it than that. I tried reading up on it before i went and thought it all silly and was it worth me going. but glad i stayed with it. I dont think you will get the full picture from reading about it it doesn’t make sense well not to me.but every one is different, I was very sceptical at first but now understanding what it all really means, and it makes sense now, still got a few sessions to go. if its not for you then let it go just give it a good go before you decide thats what i done. Its not a quick fix its something you bring into your every day life the more you practice the more it becomes the norm. a bit like learning to ride a bike or brushing your teeth. Take Care Astra whatever you decide Best Wishes . Lee

Astra
    Participant

Hi Lee. Yes I’m afraid I found the book a bit too “hippy-dippy” for me. The raisin thing did make me chuckle, though, and a laugh is never wasted.

I’m not dismissing mindfulness as a concept. There were things that I could see would be helpful for some people in some situations. I just didn’t find any of it particularly relevant to me. Not at the moment anyway, but I wouldn’t completely rule it out for the future. Anything’s worth a try!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.