Buscopan for Muscle Spasms?

Home Forums General Buscopan for Muscle Spasms?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Laura 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

yorkshirelass
    Participant

Hello!
    I’m Jayne and I have had severe spinal problems since I was 21 (I’m now 57). At the weekend I was shunted from behind in my car which of course has exacerbated my neck and back problems tenfold!
    I went to my doctor this morning and he said all of my spine was in spasm, prescribed Biscopan and said he’d prescribe stronger if they didn’t work. But, I was under the impression that was for IBS! I wonder if he meant to prescribe Beclofan. Should I have a word with the pharmacist and ask him to ask my doctor? I don’t want to be taking something that isn’t doing what it should.
    Thank you.

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Jayne – welcome and I’m sorry to hear what happened at the weekend, yes I’d definitely speak with pharmacist as I’ve never heard of buscopan being used for anything else other than IBS too, unless someone else has anything else to add that we’re not aware of, it sure sounds like he’s mistaken it for baclofen as you right say, as I remember being prescribed this for muscle spasms. All the best & take care AnnieD

Laura
    Participant

Hi Jayne,

I was prescribed Buscopan for stomach problems so sounds as if you and AnnieD are right. You could always get a telephone appointment with your doctor to check it out rather than wait for an appointment with your GP. Good luck.

yorkshirelass
    Participant

Thank you Annie, I’m glad I’m not losing the plot, my doctor on the other hand obviously is! I\ll telephone the pharmacy this morning and have a word.

yorkshirelass
    Participant

Hi Laura and thank you. Getting a phone appointment with a doctor at my surgery is ridiculous! You only get them if it’s an emergency or urgent; maybe if I ring the pharmacy first, the pharmacist could speak with the doctor and get a prescription of the proper meds. Could only happen to me!

yorkshirelass
    Participant

I am now on what I should have been on to begin with and that’s Beclofan. It seems to have worked, but the lightheadedness/dizziness for the first few hours after taking it is awful!

Di
    Participant

Yes, Buscopan is only for “smooth muscle” spasms ie the muscle in the bowel.

yorkshirelass
    Participant

Yep I already knew that, just wanted to check before I started taking it just in case it was now prescribed for muscle spasms elsewhere. Sorted now thank goodness.

Laura
    Participant

Glad to see you’re getting the right medication now and hope it helps you.

L x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.