Article about wheat and inflammation

Home Forums General Article about wheat and inflammation

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Christine 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Christine
    Participant

I happened to see this

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313514.php#post

It’s quite interesting.

Christine

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Thank you for posting this, Christine. The article is about ulcerative colitis, I don’t know if the same foods they mention are effective for chronic pain elsewhere in the body. It might be worth a try though.
    Jan at PainSupport

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Christine – an interesting article thank you – my sis lives in the US and recently told me about a host of US books – Wheat Belly and Grain Brain; No Grain, No Pain – whereby they’ve helped people with chronic pain. I’ve yet to check them out on Amazon, but it’s really great to learn that there are drug free alternative options out there. kind regards AnnieD x

Christine
    Participant

Because I felt like a change, we made a spelt loaf the other day. Actually it was a mixture of spelt and “normal” wheat flour. It came out like a brick, and rather tough to boot!

Christine

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Try using brown rice flour, Christine, I found that the best but you can’t replicate wheat bread. Try a loaf of rye sourdough bread from the supermarket if you want to avoid wheat. I used that for a long time once I’d given up on alternative flours for breadmaking.
    Jan at PainSupport 🙂

Christine
    Participant

That’s an idea, Jan. I was just looking for something a bit different!

Christine

Di
    Participant

If anyone has to be gluten free could you please make suggestions for alternatives for home made meals like four for cakes etc. My son’s partner has gluten intolerance and apart from thickening gravy with cornflour I haven’t a clue where to start when they visit. I bought a rice flour but cakes were flat.

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Hi Di
    Unfortunately you can’t do a direct swap with an alternative flour for wheat flour without it changing the nature of the cake. The cake may be edible but won’t rise in the same way. I have a lovely recipe for carrot cake that uses rice flour. It freezes well too. Let me know if you’d like the recipe and I’ll post it on here.
    Jan at PainSupport

Christine
    Participant

Would this be of any help?

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/recipe-database/gluten-free-cake-making/

I’ve no experience, but my brother-in-law is a coeliac person.

Michael Mosley’s book The Clever Guts Diet has some recipes, and there’s also a website which has recipes.

Christine

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.