Amitriptyline and Gabapentin

Home Forums General Amitriptyline and Gabapentin

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Tigger2409 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Tigger2409
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either Amitriptyline or Gabapentin for abdominal pain, especially for abdominal adhesions. I have tried Gabapentin and really did not get on with it, I felt like I was losing control and depressed, and it did not help with the pain. I’m now trying Amitriptyline.

lc
    Participant

Hi Tigger2409, I am on Amitripyline it works for me most of the time for nerve pain and arthritis and has lifted my mood.and helps me sleep a lot better, i dont have many disturbed nights in pain. at first week or to it made me feel like i had hangover but after a week or two now wake up fine been taking it since just before xmas, still need my other meds when i cannot deal with pain and have flare ups, but generally works for me as I cannot tolerate and have adverse reation to gabapentin and lyrica, hope this helps but everyone tolerates medicines differantly Take care and best wishes,Lee

Di
    Participant

All I can say is that I was given both and couldn’t cope wit either of them. Gaba side effects especially head pain and depression were horrific and Amitrip just kept me in a permanent zombie state. I too have abdominal adhesions and the only thing that helps me is oxynorm but he constipation it causes can be dangerous if you have partial blockages from the adhesions.

mrsH
    Participant

I don’t have adhesions but I have tried both of these for pain. Amiltriptyline has been very helpful for me- particularly in getting to sleep when in pain. My husband also takes it for pain and is a bit of a zombie in the mornings.

Gabapentin didn’t suit me at all- but everyone is different. I have a friend on it for chronic pain who thinks it is wonderful.

Laura
    Participant

I take Amitripyline to help me sleep, 30 mg at 6 p.m. every evening. they don’t always work when my pain is up but on the whole I wouldn’t be without them.

Gabapentin made me feel dreadful, and I found getting off them awful, I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole but as others say, we’re all different and react to medication differently so it’s worth a try. Just be careful how you come off them, very slowly with a doctor’s support.

yorkshirelass
    Participant

I have had both for my spinal problems and neither did the job it was intended for and both had side effects I hated.
    Amitryptiline gave me a heavy sleep (didn’t need help with it anyway) but, I had a hangover effect all morning up to dinnertime (noonish) .
    Gabapentin made me constantly hungry, I tried not to feed the urge to eat, but, food won and I gained 3 stone!

yorkshirelass
    Participant

I have both Bisocodyl and Lactulose for the side effects of Ocycontin (better than Oxynorm to me as they’re SR) and they keep me “regular” with softer “output”?

Di
    Participant

Afraid oxycontin doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t last 12 hours; only about 7 so I end up taking oxynorm for breakthrough pain which puts the dose up far higher than just taking oxynorm every 3 hours. ( yes it should last 4 hours but it doesn’t.)Lactulose just gives me terrible griping pains that I can’t cope with with the adhesions. My GP just gave me Laxido which i Think has pretty much the same ingredients but doesn’t cause the bloating and pain.

yorkshirelass
    Participant

I think the 12 hours is an approximation, mine certainly doesn’t last that long, hence the inclusion of Oxynorm for break through pain. I’ve been offered it, but prefer my Nefopam, which seems to take the edge off, but like you I find it doesn’t last the 4 hours it’s meant to. To be honest, I think the time is the minimum between doses, not the time it’s meant to last, even paracetamol doesn’t last 4 hours, it’s the damage to your organs (liver and kidneys mainly) they’re trying to minimiseā€¦but, if you’re in pain you want it to ease don’t you? I know I’ve gone less than 4 hours between doses occasionally. Neither of the laxatives work 100% for me, suppose it’s the combination of painkillers I take, and an endoscopy after suffering with the griping pain you describe (as well as other gastric problems and a family history of stomach/pancreatic cancers) revealed nothing sinister thank goodness, but I understand the frustration of feeling bunged up, bloated and nauseous thanks to strong painkillers. It’s a vicious circle isn’t it?

Tigger2409
    Participant

I used Amitriptyline years ago when I had facial pain due to damaged nerves and this really helped me. I’m now on 50mg Amitriptyline and am now trying Pregabalin as well. I tolerate Amitriptyline quite well, initially dry mouth, makes me sleepy at night, which is a good thing. Only started Pregabalin a few days ago, and wiping me out at the moment. These meds increase your appetite as well, the weight gain is not nice. But I will try anything to rid me of this pain. Pain affects you so much physically and mentally. xx

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Tigger2409.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.