Scar Tissue Removal – Can anyone advise?

Home Forums General Scar Tissue Removal – Can anyone advise?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lc 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ian
    Participant

During a recent appointment with a spinal surgeon it was suggested to me that the presence of scar tissue on my cervical spinal cord could be the reason for the continuous pain I am experiencing in my neck, shoulders, arms and upper back.

Has any reader or contributor to this website ever had such an experience and if so:
    1. Have they had the scar tissue removed?
    2. What removal procedure was used and
    3. How successful was the scar tissue removal in reducing the pain?

Laura
    Participant

Hi Ian,

Doctors tell me my nerve pain problems in back and legs is caused by scar tissue. Having been recommended to have surgery on my lumbar spine this didn’t work out so had to have two more operations to rectify this. After this when I was being seen in a top London hospital pain clinic the doctor told me it was a big mistake to have more than one operation on the same area.. not much help to me really as I hadn’t been warned beforehand. I enquired about having scar tissue removed and was told it was very unlikely to help me and could well cause more scar tissue to form.

With me it’s my legs that are the worst, until surgery on my lumbar area I only had the occasional leg pain, now it’s all the time, 24/7. I try to steer clear of doctors now but I totally understand the need to get all the help you can.

Ian
    Participant

Hi Laura
    I can honestly agree with the last statement you have made regarding avoiding doctors. I recently had an appointment with the spinal surgeon who completed my surgery and due to continuing neck, shoulder and arm pain he suggested that it may be cervical spinal scar tissue that is causing the dreadful daily pain I am enduring. He suggested a further CT scan of my cervical spine but despite me verbally stressing the severity of my pain I recently discovered that he referred me to the Imaging Department of the hospital as a “routine” patient and I have discovered there is a 7 month waiting list! When I was attending this same spinal surgeon privately I was always referred to as a “priority” patient!!!

In relation to the effects of the presence of scar tissue on your spine did you find in relation to your arm and shoulder movement that you were experiencing severe pain and restriction of movement? This is greatly concerning me as my related pain is becoming more severe and my movement more restricted!

I would greatly appreciate you early and valued findings on this matter.

Laura
    Participant

Hi Ian,

Re waiting times, don’t get me started! I had a procedure done in hospital today for which I was referred last July and have another unrelated procedure due on the 14th June for which I’ve waited the same time and was told it was just routine… not to me it isn’t! And when I read the NHS website it tells me I should have these things done quickly…

Well,my pain was always in my lower back (20 years up to now) which usually affects your back/legs or both but I only had sciatica problems occasionally. When I had the surgery that’s when the nerves were damaged that affect my legs. I think higher up in the neck affects your arms and shoulder area.

I’d be interested to know if you were warned about nerve damage before your op? I certainly wasn’t told.

Laura

Di
    Participant

I don’t know about spinal scar tissue (adhesions) but I know plenty about scar tissue from abdominal operations that can tether your organs together and cause severe pain. There are very few surgeons in the world world who are recommended for these and he’s in Germany. It’s well known that attempts to remove scar tissue simply cause more. There is no safe barrier method to avoid them. Minimal surgery and minimal disruption of the surrounding tissues is the only way and there’s hardly anyone who does that, Many things have been tried from soaking the area in liquids to using actual barriers between organs that then dissolve but none are guaranteed. I’d give anything to have my bowel unstuck from my bladder and abdominal wall but it’s simply too dangerous.

Ian
    Participant

Hi Laura & Di
    Thanks to both of you for replying to my earlier enquiry regarding scar tissue removal and NHS waiting lists.

It seems from your responses and other investigations I have made that the removal of scar tissue is more likely to create more problems than it solves and therefore one is best to suffer the resulting pain than to incur increased suffering as a result of attempted removal. I have discovered to my grief that medical professionals, including pain management doctors, are incapable of effectively controlling pain while at the same time allowing the patient to enjoy an unrestricted working and social life.

Laura – I was not specifically warned regarding possible nerve damage during surgery; rather that in a worst-case scenario my cervical spinal surgery could leave me paralyzed from the neck down which thankfully it didn’t.

Regarding NHS waiting lists I have succeeded through diplomacy to have my name and contact details placed on a list that is consulted if someone cancels their appointment. Hopefully sooner rather than later there will be a cancellation and I will get my CT scan, which will take approximately 5 minutes, to complete. Think of the time factor – 5 minutes duration verses an 8 month waiting list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captainsmilly1
    Participant

I had a L4-L5 Lamenectomy both R & L side for bone impingement. One month after surgery in Sep. 2015 extreme pain started in RT back down thru hip and RT leg to toe. Had numbness, tingling, shooting pains and 24/7 aching. Have now progressed to leg spasms and cramps so bad that my RT leg looks like a rope tied in knots. Taking 10-325 Perks 4 times daily with no relief. Spine surgeon says it is due to massive scar tissue that is about 3″ long on spine from L4-S1. I had the caudal lysis of adhesions with saline, hyalurondase, laticane, and steriods injection. No help for a whole month after. then got direct injections into the scar tissue at L4, L5, and S1. Still no help. Now scheduling lots of appointments with surgeons. First one wants me to go on medical marijuana and says that there is no surgery or any other thing that will ever help me. I kept a positive attitude that when they say no help or hoe means that they are scarred to touch me now. Saw my last surgeon yesterday and he said that he can go in with an endoscope and remove as much tissue as possible and that if performed 2 times 2 months apart with special PT inbetween it will eliminate at least 70% of pain. This is the last stand I have cause my body rejected the stimulator implant that I tried for 7 days. Please everyone be persistant and think positive no matter how bad it hurts you physically or mentally. I am a US Marine Corps Veteran and I will fight to the end. Semper Fi

lc
    Participant

Hi All, I had similar problem went back to surgeon and he said we can operate to remove scar tissue but was relucting to do it as he said it can make it worse.and suggested cortisone injections into the site and recommended 3x a day for half an hour massage around and on site to break up the scar tissue. it worked for me somewhat but should have been done earlier after the op as longer you leave it the tougher it is and longer it takes to break down scar tissue. was doing this for a few months before i started to feel any differance. hope this was of any use. Take Care and Best Wishes. Lee

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.