Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

Home Forums General Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

This topic contains 102 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Christine 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Author

Laura
    Participant

If you like Rosamunde Pilcher novels you will probably enjoy Marcia Willett’s books.

They’re very’ English’ novels, family saga stuff, I’m just finishing the trilogy about the Chadwick family and don’t want it to end!

Doreen
    Participant

Have read Victoria Hislop`s 4 books the

” The Island” ” The Return ”
    ” The Thread ” & ” The Sunrise ”
    These books taught me a lot & Im very sorry she doesnt seem to be writing anymore.
    her books are based mainly in the Greece islands & Spain . these books I will read again.

anniekat
    Participant

Yes, Doreen, I’ve read all her books and learned a lot!

X

Christine
    Participant

I’ve read two anthologies of short stories by women writers edited by Victoria Hislop, but so far nothing by her, but will now look out for her novels.

I’ve just read Neil Bartlett’s The Disappearance Boy, having not read anything by him before. It’s set in 1950s Brighton in the not quite respectable world of variety, and the boy of the title is a young man, an orphan, who is a magician’s assistant. It’s really good.

Christine

DavidWirral
    Participant

I love Patricia Cornwell books there is a serious of books I think there are about 18 of them about a pathologist the characters name is Kay Scarpetta they are tense but cant put one down once I pick it up. The latest one is depraved heart but I would recommend starting with some of the earlier ones as this is were the characters are formed,having said that you quickly become aware of who is who. Dave

cheekychic41
    Participant

Hi everyone , I would like to introduce my first novel ‘No Sanctuary’

I have written it in between flare ups so it has taken a while to come into fruition!
    It’s a Glasgow murder/mystery and I have been getting good feedback so far…

What happens when two friends become entwined in someone else’s problem ?

When you believe in something so strongly and have faith in the sanctuary given, only for your very belief to be put to the test ……

Where do you turn ?

Who do you turn to ?

AND

Who can you trust ?

Available now on Amazon Kindle and paperback !

anniekat
    Participant

Hi All,

It’s ages since we started this topic, so I thought I’d bring it up to the top again.

So can anybody recommended a good book to read?

I’m re-reading Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch. I’m enjoying it more the second time around! It would make a good – if a bit disturbing – film.

Any other avid readers out there. It takes my mind off my pain.

Annie x

Christine
    Participant

I love her The Secret History, and have read it several times, but haven’t come across this one. I’ll look out for it.

I read and re-read all the time! Thank goodness for libraries.

Christine

Laura
    Participant

Glad this topic is back as I love reading!

I’ve finished reading all Ann Baker family saga books, and am now going through Anna Jacobs’ books. Also trying a new genre for me, a thriller set in wartime England entitled An Empty Death by Laura Wilson.

I find reading a great distraction from pain and often get up at night and reading helps me sleep again.

Our local library has been doing a survey of what people like and don’t like… don’t trust the council and am hoping they won’t close it, I’ll be on the barricades if they even think about shutting it down!

Christine
    Participant

I hadn’t heard of Laura Wilson before, but I see that she’s been compared to Barbara Vine, which is a great recommendation!

Christine

Christine
    Participant

Just finished rereading Jill Dawson’s The Great Lover, a novel about Rupert Brooke. Though based on fact, it is a novel. I like it because that is a period I’m interested in, and it’s an ingenious idea.

Recently I read Julian Barnes’ The Sense of an Ending (because I saw the film). I would recommend both the novel and film. On the surface nothing much happens, but underneath…it’s hard to describe without giving away the plot, but it all starts when the main character receives an unexpected legacy. He then finds that certain events happened in the past which he doesn’t recall, or didn’t know about.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Christine,

I’ll put them both on my ‘to read’ list!

I prefer Barbara Vine when she writes as Ruth Renewal. Sadly she’s died, so no more of either.

I love Val McDermid’s books too.

Annie x

Christine
    Participant

I saw Val McDermid at a crime writers’ festival a few years ago. She’s very funny in person. I find some of her books a bit too gory, but liked the television adaptations I’ve seen.

Christine

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.