Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

Home Forums General Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

This topic contains 102 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Christine 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)
  • Author

rdolly
    Participant

Any books by Harlan Coben, a great mystery writer, and his books are page turners, just brilliant.

anniekat
    Participant

I’ve just read ‘The Girl on the Train’ by Paula Hawkins. I couldn’t put it down – such a good page turner! X

jean
    Participant

I have just read the Throwaway Children, It is about the children that were orphans and sent to live in Australia By Diney Costeloe and now I am reading a modern day one of hers called Silverstrand. I can’t put them down.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Jean,

I read a book on the same subject. Did you know that some of these kids were given to Catholics by poor families who were promised the children would ‘have a good life’. The kids were told that their parents had died and were shipped off to Australia. Horrendous.

Annie x

Navchic
    Participant

Just finished a really good book – fictional but based on WW1. ‘At the going down of the sun’ Very good read.

jean
    Participant

Hi Rose I have read that book and really enjoyed it

susanliang
    Participant

The Crossstitch (Outlander) seies by Diana Gabaldon.

Christine
    Participant

I’ve just started Aren’t We Sisters? by Patricia Ferguson. It isn’t exactly a sequel to The Midwife’s Daughter, but some of the same characters appear and are referred to.

It’s mainly about how contraception was made available to women in the years after the Great War, and the author’s medical training is again, not obvious, but you can tell that she has a medical background. I’ve made it sound very dreary – but it isn’t!

Christine

Laura
    Participant

I was just thinking it was about time this topic came up again!

Someone on here recommended Anna Jacob’s books a while ago. She is a new author to me and I have loved the one’s I’ve read so far. I wrote to her via her website and I was emailed a list of the 70 books she’s written, don’t know how long that will take me but never mind.

I’ve just finished Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher, wonderful book, very long, just loved it and didn’t want it to end.

anniekat
    Participant

I’ve just read Anne Tyler’s A Spool of Blue Thread. It really took my mind away from my pain for a little while! Another good read is Maggie O’Farrell’s The Hand that once Held Mine. I tried to read this years Booker Prize Winner, but gave up after a couple of pages. It just shows how subjective these competitions are.

X

Christine
    Participant

I have read the Maggie O’Farrell, and the Anne Tyler is one I’m looking out for at the library.
    Both very good writers (I think).

Christine

janicepalmer
    Participant

The coffin trail and The cipher garden by Mark Edwards. Have both of them recently. They are best read in order and I did enjoy both of them.

Janice Palmer.

Susiesunshinethree
    Participant

This book will save your life by AM Holmes is a good distraction read. Some laugh out loud moments and very readable. It’s the second book I’ve read by this author can highly recommend both.

Christine
    Participant

Margaret Drabble was on Woman’s Hour this morning:

http://bbc.in/1Ws2cML

I love most of her novels, the early ones especially.

anniekat
    Participant

I used to read Margaret Drabble’s early books. Must try some later ones.

I’ve discovered Anne Tyler and am now reading some of her earlier books, after reading The Spool of Blue Thread.

Also I enjoy Lianne Moriarty’s novels.

Thank heaven for books! This year I’ve started making a list of the books I’ve read.

X

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.