Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

Home Forums General Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

This topic contains 102 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Christine 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)
  • Author

Navchic
    Participant

So, I finished reading the Midwifes Daughter. I’ve a mixed review really – The first 80% was fantastic and then, It’s as if the author got bored, killed of the main character – out of site and barely mentioned the death, moved onto another minor character and used that to finish. Very disappointing end, as the book was for the most part, really good – set in WW1 and looks at racial divides in England at that time. Great start,and middle, terrible end!

Rose
    Participant

A Spoonful of Sugar by Brenda Ashford. Is a true story of life as a Norland Nanny in wartime England. I’m halfway through it and it is very good. ( I always wanted to be a Norland nanny or similar but it wasn’t possible) glad I bought the book as it is one to keep. It was about £4 in a Garden centre book stall.

jean
    Participant

I have just read The letter by Kathryn Hughe
    I can really recommend it . Got it free on my KIndle paper white from Amazon.

Also Read The Billonaires first Christmas Holly Rayner, another freebie from Amazon

:TheWeeLady:
    Participant

Just some advice for people who love to read but struggle to hold books or even a kindle at times.

I love my reading – I’m obsessed with books of all kinds. I also have a Kindle – I upgraded recently to the latest model. If I read a particularly good book on the Kindle, I will then buy the ‘real’ book version for my library and when I come to re-read it I will read the book rather than the ebook. I also buy real books that I don’t buy the kindle versions of. So a good mix of formats that works for me.

However, I regularly I problems with severe arm and hand pain, which often prevents me from holding a real book and sometimes even means I can’t hold my kindle. So recently I started using audio books, through an app on my phone. They are simply great. It is a real treat having a book read to you. Although to buy them individually can be quite expensive, there are ways to keep costs down. You can join Kindle unlimited for a monthly fee, which gives you access to hundreds of thousands of Kindle books, many of which have audio companions, and you can switch seamlessly between the two formats. Also, if you join Audible as a member, you can pay a monthly fee for a certain number of credits, and you can buy an audio book for one credit, irrespective of the normal cost. So, I buy 2 credits a month, and for that I can get 2 books – even ones that normally sell for £30 or more on a stand-alone basis if you’re not a member. Good value I think, if you need an alternative to holding something.

I hope this information is helpful. Regards, Eúni.

I’ve just read ‘Who is Tom Ditto?’ by Danny Wallace. I really enjoyed this book, it took my mind off a flare-up of pain. It’s an easy read, but very thoughtful, with a touching relationship story, quirky and amusing.
    Jan at PainSupport

Lyndylou
    Participant

Anything by Diane Chamberlain. I’ve just read lost daughter and before they secret sister both really good .

anniekat
    Participant

i’ve just read ‘The Salt Road’ by Jane Johnson. A fascinating insight into the life of the Tuareg in the Sahara Desert – gorgeous desert descriptions. And a good plot too!

Dave – Kent
    Participant

Non fiction that I’ve found fascinating:

“Ground Control” by Anna Minton. It’s about how homes and shopping streets are destroyed in order to let big business develop identikit shopping centres which actively exclude anyone not in the ABC1 social classes, in the process taking what were public streets into private ownershop with people constantly watched by CCTV & controlled by security guards. Britain has more CCTV than the rest of Europe and 1/5 of the world’s spending on CCTV. Big Brother is watching us.

“The Shock Doctrine” by Naomi Klein. It’s about how US big business uses the IMF and World Bank to gain property and businesses in foreign countries by making use of wars and natural disasters. Disaster aid is held back until the foreign government agrees to sell its nationalised industries to the US for bargain basement prices.

“Watermelons” by James Delingpole. It’s about how the global warming claim is supported by falsified figures, misleading diagrams, and big business pushing “new energy” purely to make massive profits. According to one global warming prediction the sea between Baffin Island and Greenland will have a 16inch slope on it. Presumably downhill water skiing will become an Olympic event!

Navchic
    Participant

I’m reading Easter Widows, which is a bit political perhaps, but really interesting look at the history of my country and and the role that women played in the Easter Rising in 1916. I certainly learned all this in school, but it is so interesting to read it through the eyes of the women, who loved the men and who were active in the revolution. I would tend to not have strong political views, but find it really interesting to see how people lived their lives and their belief systems etc 100 years ago.
    Its a good read, although long, I’m still wandering through it!
    🙂

LucyD1980
    Participant

Hi everyone, my name is Lucy and i am new to the site. I’ve just read Silent Scream by Angela Marsons, it’s a crime drama (which I love) and would definitely recommend it xx

Dave – Kent
    Participant

I’ve just finished “Thin Paths” by Julia Blackburn. It is more a series of essays about her trips on the thin paths round an Italian village, and the stories of the people she met there. She never gives the name of the village or others near by but I’ve found the area on Google Maps and got it down to a group of 5 villages in one valley. No amount of Googling can confirm what I think though…

Christine
    Participant

I’m reading the Revd. Richard Coles’ memoirs, “Fathomless Riches.” Any one with fond memories of Bronski Beat and the Communards would like it! He doesn’t shy away from describing his own faults and mistakes.

Dave – Kent
    Participant

“Pirate Hunter of the Caribbean” by David Cordingley the true story of Captain Woodes Rogers.

“Island Days” by Roger Perry the story of his time in various jobe on the Galapagos Islands, Christmas Island, & Tristan da Chuna.

“The Last Gentleman Adventurer” by Edward Beauclerk Maurice the story of his 9 years in Arctic Canada from age 16 working for the Hudsons Bay Company.

“Sailing Alone Around the World” and “Voyage of the Liberdade” by Captain Joshua Slocum the story of his sail round the world.

“A Privateer’s Voyage Round the World” by George Shelvoke the story of his days as a privateer.

“A Pattern of Islands” by Arthur Grimble the story, sometimes hilarious, of his time as a British civil servant in the Gilbert and Ellice islands.
    “Ring of Bright Water” & “Raven Seek they Brother” by Gavin Maxwell the story of his time with otters in Scotland.

“Mister God this is Anna” by Fynn the remarkable, moving, and often hilarious true story of Fynn and a little girl called Anna covering the three and a half years from when Fynn first met her until she died in an accident at 8 years old. Anna’s way of looking at things is amazing, and this is one of my all-time favourite books.

“Island of the Pines” by Elleston Trevor the story of some animals round a lake. Another of my all-time favourites with some of the funniest lines I’ve ever read. E.g when they are making a list of repairs including the leaking boat they put “Bote. Put a stop to sinksomeness.”

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Dave - Kent.

Susiesunshinethree
    Participant

The Monogram Murders is an Agatha Christie estate approved Poirot story by Sophie Hannah. Gentle easy crime drama read. Very much in the agatha Christie style. Wondered if it would tempt David Suchet out of retirement.

Susiesunshinethree
    Participant

Best book so far – May We Be Forgiven by A M Homes. Laugh out loud funny and life affirming. Highly recommend.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.