Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

Home Forums General Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

This topic contains 102 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Christine 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)
  • Author

Christine
    Participant

Mary Renault’s ‘The Charioteer.’ It’s a Second World War book, but it’s about the wounded men and those looking after them.
    My review of it is on Amazon, using the name Provincial Lady. (Is it ok to say that?)

trishj46
    Participant

This is not a novel, but a good, informative read.
    There is great information in this book!
    “Validate your Pain!” by Alan F.Chino PH.D
    and Corinne D.Davis, M.D
    trishj46

Laura
    Participant

I love reading! I’m keeping a note of everyone’s choices but can’t imagine I’ll ever read all of them but I’ll try!

I’ve just finished A Volunteer Nurse on the Western Front: Memoirs from a WWI camp hospital by Olive Dent about her time nursing in France during the first world war. Wonderful writing style I thought and in this year of commemoration a very fitting tribute.

Christine
    Participant

I’ll look for that one, Laura. Thanks.

Anonymous

I have just finished Carole Matthews a house by the sea, it is fab,
    As are all of Carole Matthews books, very funny and well written.

Debbie Macomber (avid knitting books) they are good feeling reads.

Sophie Kinsella – shopaholic books are always good to have a laugh with.

I also like Stuart McBride (he writes about a police station in aberdeen, some of his books are very graphic and you need a good strong stomach when he talks about finding pieces of body or bones, but they are reads that you cannot put down. some funny bits in it too. and if you know of any policemen or women and some of the characters may be some they know or work with. so it can be good fun. )

enjoyx

Anonymous

Hi, I’ve just finished a book by the late Sue Townsend called Ghost Children. It’s not a laugh a minute but very thought provoking. It took me all of two days to read! I don’t know how I’ve missed it as it was published way back in 1997. Annie x

Laura
    Participant

How spooky…. was just thinking about this topic and here it is!

I’ve just read ‘A train in winter : a story of resistance, friendship and survival’ by Caroline Moorehead, the true story of women in France’s resistance movement. Really thought provoking and although very sad at times it really shows how some people are able to put their lives on the line for freedom. A tragic story of patriotism, wonder if it would happen these days?

Susiesunshinethree
    Participant

I’ve not long finished The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. Reviews said it was laugh out loud; brilliant important, good hearted…etc etc it was and I can recommend for good summer read.

dalhousie
    Participant

Apparently there is a follow up to The Rosie Project called The Rosie Effect. Haven’t read it yet but think I will order it when I’ve finished my current batch of books as I really liked the first book.

Susiesunshinethree
    Participant

I’ll have to keep my eye out for that, the project was a nice easy read hope the next one is too.

jean
    Participant

Her Ladyship’s Maid by Alwyn Moyle, tells the story of a welsh girl who moves to London to be a ladies maid with a difference It is a true life story and covers from 1918-2013 when she passed away.
    I couldn’t put it down and it has been voted one of the best biographies on Amazon.

jean
    Participant

The last Foundling by Tom H Mackensie, True story)

A Moment to Remember by Dee Williams

A Spoonful of Sugar by Brenda Ashford

The Refuge by Jenny Smith

The Railwayman by Eric Lomax, (much better than the film ), bit slow at first but well worth a read

Christine
    Participant

Blake Morrison’s ‘The Last Weekend.’ It’s quite disturbing – be warned!

Non-fiction: ‘The Road to Middlemarch’ by Rebecca Mead. She’s always been obsessed with George Eliot – very interesting and different .

Christine

Anonymous

Hi Laura, I read Train in Winter too. Yes, I agree, very thought provoking. And very COLD! x

Rose
    Participant

Longbourne- servant view/story- Fiction
    The alternative servants review to Pride and Prejudice .
    Brill but I had to miss some pages as the tension got too much for me, although I did go back to them later. And watching Pride and Prejudist later, it gave me a new insight

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.