Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

Home Forums General Can anybody recommend a GOOD READ?

This topic contains 102 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Christine 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)
  • Author

Navchic
    Participant

I’ve recently read a number of books by Tania Carver – detective / thriller/ psychology books. Gripping read if you like the murder mystery type! I’m all about the cheap books on kindle at the moment – 30p seems like a good investment and there are loads on amazon. Although the free books were all a bit racy!! Still though, distraction is key :))))

Laura
    Participant

You made me laugh, Navchic, about the racy books… I’ve just finished Red Crystal by Claire Francis and I just noticed that it said on the front that it was a … sexy thriller… I’m afraid I never noticed!

Laura
    Participant

Have just found out that our library has online access to all newspapers and magazines. Plus they have an icon for …authors who write like…. I’m also going to book a computer at my local library to look at Ancestry as I’m doing my family tree. All of this is included in your council tax, you just have to find out how to access it, sounds a no-brainer to me.

Liz Reilly
    Participant

Dare I ask, Laura of Surrey, what you made of “Fighting Back”? Has anybody else read it?

Sarah W
    Participant

I’ve just been wowed by ‘Burial Rites’ by Hannah Kent, a novel based on a true murder story in Iceland in 1828. It follows Agnes, one of the accused, who after her conviction is sent to await her execution on a small family farm: we find out how the family react to her, and she to them, and through her thoughts and her talks with a local minister we gradually find out what really happened…
    Sounds a bit grim but all the characters are very real and all have redeeming qualities. Also, the description of their day-to-day life and living conditions is so detailed that when I finished it I felt as though I’d been on a trip away. And it’s beautifully written.

Laura
    Participant

Hi Liz,

It’s only when I got to the end that I thought I have seen that name before somewhere…
    I thought it was a very well written book and I marvelled at the persistence to find an answer. I find that trying to track down answers very demanding and it says a lot that it can be done. I think the message is never give up on trying to find help, it’s worth giving things a ago, and it’s worth hanging onto your dreams to give you a goal. Inspiring stuff to say the least, a recommended read. Thank you.

Anonymous

I gave up on ‘BigBrother’ by Lionel Shriver. Not often I do that. But now loving ‘Perfect’ by Rachel Joyce. So many books, so little time! X

Liz Reilly
    Participant

Thank you so much, for your kind comments, Laura. I think I have got answers – but not cures! I do still have a certain amount of pain and am limited in what I can do. However, I know I’m a lot better than many people who use this site, and have much to be grateful for.

Laura
    Participant

As you say, Liz, answers can help and cures certainly would but they are not always available. I was a long time finding some answers to my own pain… my GP thought I had backache and fobbed me off for quite a few years. It was only when I changed doctors that I even got an MRI scan and the answers were right there. Unfortunately I can’t get a cure either but knowledge is a powerful tool and there’s no-one as expert as yourself.

Laura

PS I noted on a recent letter from a new hospital I’ve been attending for a completely different’ health issue that the consultant wrote I had a history of backache’… makes me wonder what you have to do to have the correct information written, such as 3 surgeries and resultant nerve damage to both legs!

Anonymous

I’ve joined some previous good reads together so they are all easily accessible in the same topic.
    Jan at PainSupport

———————————————-

Author anniecat – fenland
    26 Mar 2014
    Hi Laura
    I’ve just read ‘The Valley of Amazement’. by Amy Tan. It’s a good tale about courtesan life in China in the early 1900s. Now I’m reading ‘Big Brother’ by Lionel Shriver, about a man with an eating problem.

Happy reading! Annie x

Deb – cumbria
    26 Mar 2014
    I have just read Keep your Friends Close by Paula Daly. I just coulnd’t put it down. I knew the author when she was a physiotherapist in her other life and bought her first book Other Peoples Children out of nosiness and was hooked.

Jan at PainSupport – UK
    26 Mar 2014
    Some more for my ‘to read’ list. Thanks to you both, especially Deb as I haven’t heard of those books. I’ll download some samples on to the Kindle.
    I’m reading ‘Cuckoo’ by Julia Crouch, it’s a bit slow to get going though.
    I am also reading The Madness of July by James Naughtie from Radio 4, which is looking good.
    ———————————
    Later:
    I’ve given up on the ‘Cuckoo’ book, plot-wise it became more and more unbelievable, so can’t include it in ‘good reads’ after all. I’ve enjoyed her other books though.

Anonymous

anniecat – fenland
    1 Apr 2014
    ‘Perfect’ by Rachel Joyce is turning out to be a real pageturner and is funny and poignant at the same time. X

Navchic – Ireland
    2 Apr 2014
    New Jodi Picoult book “The storyteller” easy read and seems good – although I’m only 3 chapters in 🙂

Lyndylou – South Yorkshire
    2 Apr 2014
    The latest Lesley Pearse book called survivor is the third in a series is brilliant . Try the first two they are good too.

frosty – northamptonshire
    7 Apr 2014
    I have just finished ready a really good book . its called Oregon Country by T J Hanson. It is a novel based on true events . I couldn’t put it down . It has everything in it and is a brilliant read when you cant sleep !!! I thoroughly recommend it
    Angelai

jean – lancashire
    7 Apr 2014
    Just reading The fall and rise of Lucy Charlton by Elizabeth Gill and i can’t put it down.

Anonymous

sheevee – West Midlands
    7 Apr 2014
    Have just downloaded the Oregon Country – looking forward to reading it.
    http://uk.ereaderiq.com/freebies/ Have found some quite reasonable books on this site.

anniecat – fenland
    11 May 2014
    I’ve just read ‘The Facts of Life and Death’ by Belinda Bauer. A real pageturner. She’s one the best new crime writers around at the moment. Well, I think so! Just the job for these rainy days! X

dalhousie – Lancashire
    13 May 2014
    I’ve just read the The Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce which was good. It’s easy reading & I really liked the writing style. Didn’t want it to end.
    I’m reading Perfect which is another one by Rachel Joyce and Annie has posted about that earlier which is another good one.

trishj46 – PA. USA
    30 May 2014
    If anyone likes poetry, I think if you pick up any book by Mary Oliver, you will find it a great delight!
    trishj46

anniecat – fenland
    30 May 2014
    I’ve just read a pageturner! ‘The Personal History of Rachel Dupree’ by Ann Weisgarber. Definitely food for thought. Annie x

Navchic – Ireland
    30 May 2014
    I’ve just finished ‘The Storyteller’ by Jodi Picoult. Set in the present time, dipping back to the holocaust. Very interesting book, couldn’t put it down after the 3rd chapter. T x

Anonymous

dalhousie – Lancashire
    1 Jun 2014
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. Really enjoyed it. Very amusing and upbeat.

anniecat – fenland
    1 Jun 2014
    I enjoyed ‘the storyteller’ too. Very different from her usual format and, yes, very thought provoking x

Christine – UK
    4 Jun 2014
    I found ‘Big Brother’ riveting.
    I’ve just read Antonia fraser’s ‘Must You Go?’ which is about her life with Harold Pinter. Very moving.
    And Mark Billingham’s latest, ‘The Bones Beneath’. Gruesome psychology!
    And Rumer Godden’s ‘Black Narcissus.’ You’ve probably all seen the film. It made me wonder if there are still religious communities sent to far-flung places.
    Currently reading ‘Can Anybody Help Me?’ by Sinead Crowley. Very tense and sinister.
    All recommended:-)

Author Christine – UK
    19 Jun 2014
    Two by Louisa Young:
    ‘My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You’ and ‘The Heroes’ Welcome’.
    The First World War, facial injuries, shell shock…brilliant. The author is an historian.

anniecat – fenland
    19 Jun 2014
    hi Christine,
    i ‘ve read ‘my dear i wanted to tell you’ and thought it was excellent. i shall have to try the next one too. happy reading!
    Annie x

Christine – UK
    19 Jun 2014
    The second is the aftermath, annie.
    She’s writing a third volume now!

Laura – Surrey
    19 Jun 2014
    Another that’s based on WW1 is called The Last Summer by Judith Kinghorn. I really loved it and didn’t want it to end..

Anonymous

Christine – UK
    20 Jun 2014
    Elizabeth Jane Howard’s The Beautiful Visit is wonderful, another Great War novel. Very unusual, and it was her first.
    Alan Hollinghurst’s The Stranger’s Child goes through the 20th century, missing out great events like wars. (Does that make sense?) It deals with a group of characters and how they’re all inter-connected; one is a poet slightly like Rupert Brooke, whose reputation dwindles as time moves on. I can’t speak too highly of it.

anniecat – fenland
    20 Jun 2014
    I shall put all the above on my wish list!
    Both books by Ann Weisgarber are great reads. The Promise is about life in Galveston in the big flood of 1900.
    The Personal Life of Rachel Dupree is set in the late 19th century. Its about a black couple who try to settle in the badlands of America during the drought. These sound grim (and I guess they are to a certain extent!), but I like to discover things I know nothing about even from a novel!!
    Happy reading bookworms!

Anonymous

kitty – Germany
    21 Jun 2014
    A book I have absolutely loved recently is ‘The Art of Hearing Heartbeats’ by Jan-Philipp Sendker. When I started it I wasn’t too sure, but when I got into it I absolutely adored it and couldn’t put it down. So much so – I was reading it on my Kindle, but then had to order a hard copy as well!!!!

I’m currently reading ‘The Rembrandt Secret’ by Alex Connor. It’s a mystery and based around Rembrandt and some of his paintings, right up my street as I am an art/art history fan 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.